• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

BBC Shows on PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
I've just finished listening to the Jeremy Vine show. He has a talk show on BBC Radio 2 and yesterday one of the topics was PTSD. In the evening on BBC1 the Panorama show was about 'The Trauma Industry'.

You can see or listen to both programmes again on the BBC website. Both programmes have made me really mad so watch at your own risk!

We have so much to learn in the UK about PTSD. Why doesn't the BBC use programmes like this to educate people about the condition?

Hi Claire,

I haven't seen the programme yet either, but heard a lot of blurb on the radio and read some in the news. It made my heart sink to hear what was being said - to be invalidated by such a broad gesture. I'll watch and get back to you with any thoughts. I have never received a penny for what happened to me and I live day to day and have 'enough' money from my job, and what little extra money I do have I spend on therapy. I couldn't even get help from the NHS when I was full blown. They could only offer me CBT in my catchment area and as I had already been seeing a councillor who had told me that I needed EMDR and not CBT, I made the decision to go private. So, I feel pretty unsupported even by our own NHS.

dust

I'd like to see this but I don't know how to find it. I went to the BBC website but I can only find the Canadian version. It should have everything on there but I don't know where to go on the site to find it.

Manic

It happens here as well.
But there has been well done, accurate reporting as well.

It's just a fact, many do not think PTSD is a legitimate diagnosis, or that it even exists.
I heard one talk show guy describe PTSD as an invention by someone who had something to gain by exploiting the Vietnam war.
To date, I have not heard one person, who is a practicing professional, in the area of mental health, minimizing PTSD is an legitimate diagnosis.
It has been my experience those who think it does not exist are not educated in this field, and have little to no personal experience with trauma.
Somehow, they are a self-appointed expert on all things.
I can't imagine what it's like to have such an ego, and I'm gratefull for it, because that way I don't go all around the world making an ass out of myself.
These people have no idea how fortunate they are that they know so little about REAL trauma in this world, and what it's like after.

They don't use these programmes to educate because that does not sell... they think people won't watch. I got an email from a friend in England regarding this programme and what they'd said. Even though my friend does not have PTSD, she was very angry on our behalf. Fortunately, she works for BSkyB........

Here's the link:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lwdb6/b00lwd4s/Panorama_The_Trauma_Industry

and the radio show:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ltnrh/Jeremy_Vine_27_07_2009

All in english 2quilt! :wink:

Yes Jagged Angel, they sell but the BBC are supposed to be less biased. They are publically funded. I think I'm going to write to them.

Its this kind of thing that really encourages people to live in denial. I found particularly annoying as they seemed to consider car accidents not traumatic enough. My PTSD was from a car crash. No, it wasn't a war but I could have been killed all the same. No, I didn't see the atrocities of war but what I experienced was traumatic enough for me for the switch in my head to flick.

I have only watched the pararoma episode so far, I may listen to the radio broadcast later.

I'm not sure what to think to be honest. Some of the case studies they used just seemed wrong, I mean from that programme it seems that not only is it easier to get a PTSD diagnosis if you go through the legal system but also quicker. I have been in the medical system for 2 years and still only have an unofficially diagnosis as the waiting list to see a psychiatrist is so long, so now I almost wish I had sued my abuser just so I had the diagnosis already.

In general though the programme annoyed me. Part of being human is that different people react differently to things, but that show made it sound as if those who struggle either want money or are just pathetic, and that is not true. Different people have different thresholds, and as the psych in the programme said (before the presenter shot him down) some people are more suseptable to PTSD (and other mental illnesses/psychiatric injuries) due to family history or events in their past.

It also made bullying and harassment out to be basically nothing! that is really wrong, bullying and harassment are SO SO SO damaging.

I'm going to complain. I haven't decided how yet as I think this is beyond letter territory, but I am going to complain to the BBC about this.

I watched it the other night, and I thought it was very clever editing used to undermine those who have PTSD from outside of a war-time situation.
I agree with shadowlight, it definately made them look pathetic and wimpy. Or just money grabbers.

Very little compassion.
Disappointing.

ps. 2quilt, that's what real English sounds like :wink:

Boo! :(

Just went to the link provided above and it is no longer available for internet viewing. Guess I was too slow on the uptake.

Hi guys,

Hopefully it will still be able to be downloaded, I have asked my partner to download it for me so I can watch it.

I'll post my opinions on it later :)

Hemmy xXx

We are slipping back to Freudian ego-ignorance...

Freud studied trauma in women for a long time...drew the conclusion that women were "hysterical" due to abusive and unimaginable traumas. Studied it for years I think. But politically it became unfashionable. So he switched to another subject...deciding that the women must have been "lying" because such horrible things could not possibly be true...nor committable acts by other human beings. :mad::mad::mad:

Every year the mental health industry has a "committee" or group to redefine the terms used for categorization. There are more male components to this than female. Behavioral science is too loosely cultivated by the egos of some whom have not suffered any kind of trauma. The group defines what gets added and what the "symptoms" for the new "disorder" are "for more accurate diagnosis".:wall:

Vietnam finally gave us a forum as men in wartime were coming home with the symptoms of "hysteria" women have had for centuries. PTSD is young in sociological acceptance, so arm yourselves with info, self care, and confidence in your own knowledge.

This forum, and good persistent research, and a commitment to find a therapist that one feels safe with is paramount.

TRAUMA & RECOVERY - by Judith Herman, M.D. (where the info came from)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back