• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Being brave - Bravery - every person in this community is brave . Whats the bravest thing you have done ?

Bravery - with the year drawing to a close it is a good time to reflect. Give yoursleves some credit . Everyone in this community is SO BRAVE! Whats the one bravest thing you feel you have done this year or any year?

Bravery - with the year drawing to a close it is a good time to reflect. Give yoursleves some credit . Everyone in this community is SO BRAVE! Whats the one bravest thing you feel you have done this year or any year?
Great idea ! I stayed in the store & finished shopping a few weeks ago after seeing the person who S/A’d me. I got tunnel vision & my heart was beating out of my chest but I finished paying for my groceries and walked out normally. I wanted to run but instead I took a few deep breaths and I did it !!

Hmm... my first reaction to this post was "ugh", which is on me. I think I've had to be brave too much in my life. It's also one of those things that supporters say a lot, which can be discounting. I know that's not your point though. If I reframe it as what challenge have I faced that I am particularly proud of, it totally changes things. This year, has been huge. I moved across country and moved in with my fiancee. I started a new job and new life here. It's all healthy, which is weird and amazing and terrifying.

I don't think I've ever been brave. I just don't feel fear in those extreme moments. I feel rage, and fight, and adrenaline. It's easy to gnash teeth and scream and punch, because there's no "oh my god, what if---" there's none of that. There's just pure impulse. People call me brave all the time, but it really isn't bravery. Bravery is doing something you're afraid of doing. I can't recall a time where I was ever scared. I am sure it has happened when I was a little kid! I just don't remember it. Whatever that feeling is, it got burned out of me very early.

I like your post @Weemie . I think actually admitting that we've never broken through our boundaries / comfort zone / whatever, is a way of being brave. And I can relate to the 'comfort zone' being rage or anger.

I've had glimpses of bravery throughout life. Skydiving was a moment of being brave. It made me want to barf.
In a smaller way, I'm brave when I challenge the crystallized structures in my head who tell me that other people are always wrong & out to get me.

I've had glimpses of bravery throughout life. Skydiving was a moment of being brave. It made me want to barf.
See, I've never had that.

My brain slows everything waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy doooowwwwnnnnn and I see everything crystal clear and can make decisions in those moments.

Fear simply isn't a factor. I don't get that sensation in my body. Everything is just slow and steady until I can act. I'd jump no problem and then be figuring my shit out as I landed.

It's just not bravery. Maybe it's a positive attribute of some kind, but bravery isn't it. Composure, perhaps.

Back