• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can Weed Make Dissociation Worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsparky

Learning
So not sure if this is just a normal experience with weed. I dissiocate a lot but when I smoke weed every time I feel stuff is even more fake like I've entered a dissociative state that I'm highly aware of. Stuff pops out at me like a 3d movie I'm not aware of what my body is doing as if I am in a new dimension with no control of the real world. I felt like a ghost and everytime I wanted to be seen or speak or move I had to struggle to the real world. I could only say one or two words and then I was in the movie/ 3d/ fake world again, yet the fake world seemed more real then the real world was. Basically I was lost ..... And I recognize the feeling as dissociation but instead of just zoneing out of real world and not remembering how I got Somewere weed just heighten my senses to actually remember my dissociation state. Meaning the real world is more fake then the world I dissociate to. The worlds are in the same plac, like I'm in same room but just my husband seems like a fake statue, the objects in the room pop out at me and I feel like if someone murdered me in the real world it wouldn't matter because I was in another world.... Who else has felt this while smoking weed..?

I've always experienced one of two things when trying weed. Usually it was hyper intense dissociation, then those feelings of "not mattering if I'd been murdered in the real world" let to intense panic and paranoia. It was so terrible the last time I smoked that I will never touch the stuff again.

Stuff pops out at me like a 3d movie I'm not aware of what my body is doing as if I am in a new dimension with no control of the real world. I felt like a ghost and everytime I wanted to be seen or speak or move I had to struggle to the real world.

That just sounds like a high to me, but I was smoking primarily to ease my anxiety -- and the indica strain that I utilized gave me just that. Indica strain cannabis will give you that sedetary, relaxed, "I want to go to sleep" feeling whereas sativa will make you feel more energetic. Nevertheless, there are many hybrid combinations that bear some of the more entertaining names: strawberry fields, purple princess, orange kush, etc.

I think it depends on a couple factors.
  1. If you smoked weed prior to your trauma (for some, this is impossible since they were so young when their traumas started and/or occurred.) I think this has something to do with it because your first few times utilizing cannabis will be a bit awkward and overwhelming because you're not used to that psychological state.
  2. Where your head-state is. I wouldn't recommend smoking if you're already escalating into a full panic attack or if you're smoking primarily to escape in the most literal sense. If you approach the high a certain way, your emotions will probably amplify. Naturally, this is where I think the high becomes complicated for the PTSD population. Most of us have trouble controlling, predicting, or even identifying our emotions. For myself, I was just in a constant state of tense anxiety that manifested itself not only emotionally but also physically. I didn't eat anything more than just a bowl of soup a day for a month and I lost 15 pounds. My muscles were constantly tense and I was always on edge. My family's concern for my physical health and the fact that I was certain that the stress would eventually kill me led me to start utilizing cannabis since the waiting list for my psychiatrist for an initial intake session was 2 months. So, I had to find something in the meantime.
  3. How bad certain symptoms are for you. I would dissociate (and still sometimes do) to the point where I wouldn't know where I was when I came to. The thing was -- I didn't know it was a bad thing at the time. I just thought I would get lost in my head for a bit and just lose touch with everything around me. So, I was more concerned with my panic attacks and night terrors.

Cannabis is not for everyone -- just the same as how some medications work for others and some don't. Some people swear by Seroquel -- I honestly couldn't stand it and I asked my psychiatrist to take me off it after only a month. It all depends on you.

So, my best advice is: if you makes you feel worse and it's in your control, then don't do it. If it works for you and has given you a positive change, then good for you. :)

The short answer, yes.

This article here talks about various kinds of drug use and the effect on assessment of symptoms in anxiety disorders. It's written for a clinical audience, but is pretty easy to read. http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/resource/patient-assessments/anxiety-disorders/
They state:
"Post-traumatic stress disorder.Some effects of hallucinogens, marijuana, PCP, alcohol, and benzodiazepines may be dissociative. However, PTSD, MPD, and dissociative disorders seem to cluster with chemical dependency... It is necessary to differentiate between PTSD and acute dissociative states due to drug use. Dissociative disorders. Some drugs, including hallucinogens, phencyclidine (PCP), and marijuana, can cause dissociation while they are being used. People who are experiencing withdrawal from alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and opiates can manifest symptoms of dissociation. The differentiation between blackouts and dissociation can be extremely complicated."

Basically, weed can make you dissociative while high, or make you dissociative when you are back in the "real world" and not high - the world that you describe as feeling even more fake.

The feeling of everything being fake sounds like derealization. Marijuana induced derealization can be particularly strong if you were already having derealization before using weed.

It can make some people psychotic, and it can make some people really relaxed. If it causes dissociation, it tends to make it harder to make the dissociation much go away in the long run. I think that if someone is using weed to just escape PTSD, then it's probably not going to work out well long term. Same goes for using anything to try to escape PTSD long term. If someone is using it in conjunction with getting therapy and treatment for PTSD, then it could be a tool to getting better, like many other things.

It works great for me, but I have smoked it for years and naturally have a hot temper which it really mellows nicely. I find it really assists with social anxiety-and even assists me with dissociative process.. not to mention easing pain with memory work as well as the physical pain from work every now and then. It amazes me to see the majority un-helped but just happy it is a tool for me.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe Carl Jung said if we do not master the shadow, we become its slave. For me it helps "invoke" a dissociative state.. I can safely allow the emotion to come and go in that place and it truly aids in processing, and not taking things so seriously.. I can always dismiss it as an emotional state created by the weed, yet I am truly able to maintain control in the process and actually find I am less emotional in said states. But creativity as far as integration is really magnified. My counselor knows and supports my decision and says to not be in a hurry to stop.

Guess I am a freak but I have been meaning to check out this book: "Confrontation with the unconscious" by Scott Hill (Jungian Depth Psychology and Psychedelic Experience). Not that I have any interest in anything beyond marijuana.

I also have a hormonal imbalance that is corrected by the GLA present in pot.. It amazes me how it has helped me and I am shocked to see so many not find it useful.. even worsening symptoms.

Love what u guys had to say. We'll after smoking weed for the past few days I feel different. A good different. It's like I got to confront my dissociate state I've been in since I was a kid. And now wen I dissociate I'm aware that I'm dissociating. And it's not unknown to me. I feel so different. Like I'm not edgy and I havnt yelled at my husband like I've been doing every day. I kinda just except life as what it is. So wierd... Maybe weed does help or I just having a good few days

I believe Carl Jung said if we do not master the shadow, we become its slave... I can safely allow the emotion to come and go in that place and it truly aids in processing, and not taking things so seriously.. I can always dismiss it as an emotional state created by the weed, yet I am truly able to maintain control in the process and actually find I am less emotional in said states.

I believe Carl Jung meant not interfering with the emotions. I don't recall him ever talking about smoking weed or "not taking it so seriously" or being less emotional in... er... emotional states.

Do what you like with weed, but please don't bring in Carl Jung to justify it.

What ever Hashi. I see value in the publication as it has worked for me..and my counselor feels we are making rapid progress and has advised me not to stop. Bless you.

Not to mention that I had what essentially boiled down to my period for two years, Doctors tried their perscriptions till I smoked weed and linked it to a dietary shortage of gamma linoleic acid which was cured almost immediately when I smoke pot. The true reason I chose to medicate with it. Thankfully I found I can keep a job when I self medicate.. that's progress. :p Wake up and smell the roses. You have probably never even tried it.

Besides your point is null.. they put me on medication for the same purpose, and since I have been smoking more they have eliminated it. That's why they choose to medicate people in general. It has a place, it has a purpose, maybe not for everyone fine.

And I love Carl Jung, he has helped me more than any living professional. I didn't write the book- save your anger for where its appropriate and stop projecting on me. If by smoking it I can consciously invoke a dissociative state for self analysis and even parts work- painlessly. Its a heck of a lot better than being a slave to when it needs to pop out. It is a highly effective release. That's huge!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back