• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CBT is kind of gaslighty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cbt is the only nhs offered ptsd treatment in my area
I always find this interesting, cos I have never been offered CBT in like 16 years of (on and off) therapy. Like it differs drastically on area etc. But I almost feel left out of the "CBT is the first NHS step!" club, hah.

Reactions: Mee
I always find this interesting, cos I have never been offered CBT in like 16 years of (on and off) therapy. Like it differs drastically on area etc. But I almost feel left out of the "CBT is the first NHS step!" club, hah.
What have you been offered?

my local mental health team were very frank that their service was lacking and private therapy was the best solution.

I’m one of the lucky people - I found therapy I can afford that feels right for me.

What have you been offered?
Um, at 15 it was psychoanalysis, then at early 20s was person centred counselling, then DBT group, then whatever I have now (It's a CPTSD specific service so mixed modalities) But CBT has never been offered, or suggested, yet everyone talks about it as the go-to. I feel like I'm missing out on a not-so-elite club 😅 😂

Um, at 15 it was psychoanalysis, then at early 20s was person centred counselling, then DBT group, then whatever I have now (It's a CPTSD specific service so mixed modalities) But CBT has never been offered, or suggested, yet everyone talks about it as the go-to. I feel like I'm missing out on a not-so-elite club 😅 😂
Sounds like your local health authority is great 😁

Sounds like your local health authority is great 😁
I dunno tbh, that's three separate ones, (parents area), East Yorkshire and Glasgow. And I've been offered trauma specific stuff in all three. (I left the country the first two times I was offered though, cos hey, avoidance yo), so uh, I dunno. Maybe it's luck, or maybe I'm just demanding heh.

My point is that this is a worldwide forum.

In your country black or brown women may be marginalised. In other countries, other races are marginalised, whilst black or brown women are not.

That’s good to hear. As what you apparently mistyped was

I would also suggest that if we wish to continue the discussion of the effect of race/creed/religion/etc. on seeking therapy? That a new thread should be started.
It has been proven over and over that Black women are the most marginalized group in the world. This is about a collective group, not individuals. white women are always trying to individualize things (acting like they didn't get the right to vote while leaving Black women in the dust, like we didn't march in pink pussy hats while saying nothing to stand up for them, centering ourselves and our trauma as a response to anyone putting the spotlight on theirs for more than two seconds) so they can stay anesthetized to the big picture and not have to get up and do anything about it, all the while hiding behind the guise of feminism parading around with equal rights signs. All you have to do is read statistics and read actual history that hasn't been white washed to see that. So I stand by my statement that white women will never know that level of oppression. I will not apologize for that or quiet my voice from speaking the truth because an internet admin threatens banning. antiBlackness is a worldwide pathology and white people have never experienced that level of oppression.

It has been proven over and over that Black women are the most marginalized group in the world. This is about a collective group, not individuals. white women are always trying to individualize things (acting like they didn't get the right to vote while leaving Black women in the dust, like we didn't march in pink pussy hats while saying nothing to stand up for them, centering ourselves and our trauma as a response to anyone putting the spotlight on theirs for more than two seconds) so they can stay anesthetized to the big picture and not have to get up and do anything about it, all the while hiding behind the guise of feminism parading around with equal rights signs. All you have to do is read statistics and read actual history that hasn't been white washed to see that. So I stand by my statement that white women will never know that level of oppression. I will not apologize for that or quiet my voice from speaking the truth because an internet admin threatens banning. antiBlackness is a worldwide pathology and white people have never experienced that level of oppression.
Really....... Because I'm a white person and I've suffered from horrific oppression and racism. Who are you to tell me that my oppression and racist attacks are worse or better than someone elses? I won't make any more comments about this on this thread.

Really....... Because I'm a white person and I've suffered from horrific oppression and racism. Who are you to tell me that my oppression and racist attacks are worse or better than someone elses? I won't make any more comments about this on this thread.
No you have not suffered from racism. Nobody denies you access to healthcare, pain medications, or pulls you over for being white.

Again, nobody here has sad you've not suffered horrific levels of oppression. All that was said is that you have not experienced theirs. You don't know what it's like to live in a Black body. You don't know what it's like to have to explain to your son that people will fear him when they walk down the street thinking he's gonna rob them just because he's Black. Or that he might die young because people will shoot him or a cop might kneel on his neck sucking the life out of him while he cries shouting for his momma saying that he can not breathe. You don't know what it's like to be told the natural way God made your hair is unprofessional in the workforce. You don't know what it's like to be incarcerated at 5 times the rate. You don't know what it's like to have $5.04 for every $100 that white families have in generational wealth because generations of your family were robbed of it. You don't know what it's like to be followed around in a retail store and be accused of stealing because of the color of your skin. You don't know what it's like to have people hate you because you're Black to the point they call the police on you for doing nothing wrong or be told can't we all just get along or your tone takes away from your message when you express hurt from that oppression. Talk about gas lighting. You don't know what that's like. I don't either. And the list goes on and on. Again, nobody is negating your experience by putting a spotlight on someone else's.

So I stand by my statement that white women will never know that level of oppression. I will not apologize for that or quiet my voice from speaking the truth because an internet admin threatens banning. antiBlackness is a worldwide pathology and white people have never experienced that level of oppression.
You can speak your truth on a forum that is there for the topic. This is a thread about CBT. You were the one to bring up marginalized communities; and you are the one who - as far as I can see - is virtue-signaling the hardest, here.

Goodbye, @EvenStrongerNow . If you decide to come back after your temp ban expires, try taking responsibility for speaking from your OWN experience - don't borrow others' as an excuse to vent your spleen.
You don't know what that's like. I don't either.
Exactly.

Now: I'd like to let this thread get back on-topic. Thanks.

Last edited:
About NHS CBT- My T once told me that the majority of their therapists aren’t really therapists at all. Basically they go on something like a six-week course to get signed off. The good ones realise when they’ve got someone who needs more support than they’re trained to give, but many of them don’t.

i’ve had it. I experienced something similar with the guy telling me that what was in the past wasn't relevant. It felt to me like someone trying to stick a tiny plaster on a gaping wound.

IMHO, the problem with CBT is, it deals with logical processing not the emotional stuff. Again IMHO, most developmental trauma have both logical and the emotional/relational stuff impacted and if you can hold a job, make friends, get into some sort of intimate relationship, live your life relatively functional...I would say, your logic aint broken! so perhaps CBT therapist was just yanking your chin to do something cause nothing is wrong with you logically speaking and you needed more normal emotional/relational/attachment stuff processing...just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back