• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Computer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have any classes there. There is a guy who comes in now and then to fix my boss's computer though. I could ask her how to get in touch with him I guess. I used to have some neighbors who did computer stuff for me, but they moved last Thanksgiving or so. They are the ones who taught me the F12 thingie. Otherwise I would either be at the library or on another computer writing this! Really. They rescued me from a nasty virus. They had to take everything out of my computer and reload all the original software into it in order to get it back up and running after that thing hit it.

Never even heard of them. Thanks. I found this one:
Computers for Beginners - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

I do know some stuff. I'm sure this will teach me more. This is exciting.
OK, so I read through large portions of the above. I could not find an answer to what my F: drive does. I suppose maybe it does different things on different computers? I don't know. I just wonder why it keeps causing trouble and making the unit do Check Disk and then have to repair it (F:). I wonder if *I* am doing something that is causing this, or if it is just that my computer is old and is "getting there...."

Last edited:
if you have an Apple store nearby, free classes!

I wish I did! Every time I have an iPhone issue it’s an hour and a half drive down to the city! My next computer might be a Mac....but that might not be for another few years as I wait for my technology to essentially die before getting something new.

Nice thing about Macs - if you have an Apple store nearby, free classes!
I wish! I live WAY out in the boonies. I didn't even know there is such a thing as an Apple Store. I have only used a MAC once. It drove me up the wall, if I recall, everything was different! I got so confused. I suppose I would get used to it though, if I had to use it every day.

@SpiritSong, google. I self taught several computer lanaguages all online. I am getting ready for Networking admin certificates (if I can pay for them) online and learned to build my first PC from scratch in high school from the internet (library as it was the 90s and we had no internet in the house) and from taking apart scrap broken towers that people would give me. I'm still the taker of scrap PCs and have my entire walk in closet full of PC parts. I don't have too much time today but I used to build PCs ground up with as little bought parts as I could and sold them for way cheap for the buyer (in comparison to new PCs) but a good profit for me as it cost me not much to build. IT is a huge umbrella and a thousand different roads so I dabbled in this or that for a decade before I started to narrow and figure out what I enjoy. So I've managed websites for small businesses and did some graphic design and provisioned DSLAMs. Things change fast in IT so sadly I am self educated half way in a lot of stuff. Not fully self educated in a small area of IT as I need to be so jobs are far out of my reach at the moment.

Anyway, my point is, I have never stepped foot in a college and am studying for my CCNA. You can self teach anything off the internet. I also taught myself to pick locks and a ton of other things. It's all out there online.

@SpiritSong, google. I self taught several computer lanaguages all online...
I have looked up some stuff on computers online, but sometimes I learn best by being shown stuff. Reading is not my forte, since I am Dyslexic. I also have some other learning disability, but I forgot what it is called.

Anyway, my parents were both very into computers and each had his or her own "thing" they were best at. Dad built them and mom programmed them for a living. She worked for GE Corp. and wrote programs that lit cities, literally. After she retired, she taught my sister and I about computers. Both my parents have since passed away, so I am now left to my own devices.

ALso, since this is a laptop, repainting it is rather not too possible. There is a repair outfit not far from here and they "don't do laptops" they say. So, if the pros don't touch it, how successful will I be!

Right now, all I want to know is what is an F: Drive? Is it most likely my CD/DVD player, or what??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back