• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Consequences for copyright infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELI5 - how come I can post copyrighted content on other sites I visit (Facebook, Reddit, etc) but not here? Not being a smartass! Seriously just wondering.

how come I can post copyrighted content on other sites I visit (Facebook, Reddit, etc) but not here?
Actually, you can't. You think you can, but you can't. Read their terms and conditions. Facebook just got thumped for this exact thing, they lost in court, and now action more promptly every and any report of copyright infringement. The big sites are making reporting content more easily than ever.

Google, they have now added a report function to all search results, so users can report anything that is blatant abuse, illegal, should not be in the results, so forth. Courts are doing what they do best -- siding with the law, which is the copyright owner. Unless you have their permission, you are doing something illegal.

This is the attitude -- people don't think they break copyright, post it as they choose online -- but people are taking their stands globally, fighting back for their content, and they're winning. There are now enough legal precedents against the big players, that everyone under them should be actioning already. Hence we are.

You need to get this mindset out of your head. You can't post copyright content anywhere -- doing so makes you liable, can make the site owner liable, and people are chasing it more than ever because of the flagrant abuse occurring.

Should quoted material off a site be in the quote brackets still? I ask as I have been seeing quoted material in italics and was wondering if italics is ok.

I realize that this is not the way it works, but I would think that a photograph, if copywrited, should have copyright and name of copyright holder printed at the bottom of the picture or they should not be able to claim infringement, but far be it from me to hold other people to a policy that makes sense!

I am just putting in my 2 cents here because it does not sit well with me that an unmarked photo should hold a copyright or the owner be able to yell infringement AND that a site that asks for member donations cannot afford it's members avatars for their accounts.

I think it is all a bunch of bureaucratic BS and I am going to call it what I think it is.

Having posted my thoughts I will err on the side of caution and stop posting anything to the forum for a time as my form of protest.

I do understand that the site has a legal obligation to stop infringement from occurring and is doing what is necessary. I am not protesting that, just the way that the copyright laws function to me is about like a marijuana law, 'it is legal, it is not legal'....make up your mind.....get on one side of the fence or the other and this is what I feel they are forcing us to do. Rather than making the line clearer, they expect us to do it.

What I do appreciate about this site is that I can voice my opinion be it right, wrong, or indifferent. I will follow the rules of the site as it deems them appropriate on any given issue and hope no one thinks that I am advocating otherwise, I am NOT!!!

I just think the law stinks.....it gives too much room for interpretation and thus the only way to 'err on the side of caution' seems to be to not post pics at all.

Lionheart777

I realize that this is not the way it works, but I would think that a photograph, if copywrited, should have copyright and name of copyright holder printed at the bottom of the picture or they should not be able to claim infringement, but far be it from me to hold other people to a policy that makes sense!

Nope, it doesn't work that way because how easy is it to crop out a picture signature and copywrite mark (which really means nothing)? How easy is it to photshop out a signature and copywrite mark? How easy is it to type a copywrite mark when its not really copywritten? If a sigature and copywrite mark is cropped or photoshipped out, it is still copywritten. If a website posts that then when you find it, it doesn't have a signature or copywrite sign on it, but is still copywritten and it is still illegal for anyone to post it anywhere but the owner and any written permission by the owner and that permission being followed, including yourself even though you found it without a signature and copywrite mark on it.

The laws are the way they are for a reason and the courts are changing due to it being way too easy to steal and use copywritten material on the web these days. In my humble view and a creator of orginal work that people seem to think they can steal!

Nope, it doesn't work that way because how easy is it to crop out a picture signature and cop...
I actually have been too afraid to post any of my poetry on here for that very reason. I personally don't think it is that great, but my therapist told me that I should seriously consider publishing it. I just don't really trust the internet and know that everything you put on there is out there and stays out there, no matter what laws exist.

Forgive my need for clarification.

So, a LINK to any Copyrighted content IS ok....right?

and

If we post a LINK to Copyrighted content - and - QUOTE a brief excerpt of the CC text as a courtesy to readers, is that ok?

Ty :)

I just had an after thought regarding sharing my own original stuff here and elsewhere. Does that mean if I ever decide to publish it in the future, I'll need your written permission along with anywhere else I may have posted it in a public domain in order to legally do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back