• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cooking, Canning, Baking.... Do you do anything that you really enjoy? Want to share recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
The fresh produce is beginning to come in to season where I live particularly fresh fruits, berries and a whole host of other things. It has been a few years since I spent much time doing things that I enjoy and that can be healthy for me. Today, I cleaned and hulled 4 quarts of strawberries to freeze as individual berries so that can buy them when they are inexpensive and freeze for my fruit smoothies. I also cleaned a pint of strawberries and cut them up to make strawberry shortcake tomorrow. I will also be making a small batch of low sugar strawberry jam.

Cherries will be in season soon and I want to can homemade cherry pie filling and apple pie filling then I am going to experiment with canning meals in a jar things like beef stew, chicken and noodles I have found a site that is a group of canner's that utilize recipes that they have had handed down for generations and I am looking forward to pressure canning the first this summer.

Any other's that enjoy similar things and have recipes you want to share?

Hey @FauxLiz - I love doing all of that stuff. Last summer I grew my own vegetables and made heaps of stuff. I've got a pantry full of it for the Winter that is upon us right now.

Sounds like a very productive mindset you have happening there and I like the sound of the filling for the cherry pie and the rest of it actually. So if you want to please do share.

There is another thread on here with some recipes that a number of forum members contribute to and there may be more. Have you done a search?

Here's the link for one of them.

Recipe

I have 16 qts of strawberries frozen. 1 1/2 pints of blueberries, 2 quarts of sweet cherries all prepped and in the freezer. I think it is time to turn on the other freezer so that I can move some of this out of my small freezer. I need space to freeze bananas, pineapples, peaches, plums more blueberries and I need to begin canning pie filling. I am thinking of attempting to try some meals in a jar with my PC. I am debating between doing some exposure therapy or inpatient therapy this fall. The exposure therapy would have me taking 2-3 weeks off from work and going to visit my dad in my home town. That would be staying in the same home where I was abused by my siblings, molested by my brother, neglected by my parents and the same town where I endured multiple rapes and a gang rape. But I could practice my PC canning skills and leave my father (now almost 81 with simple meals that just need to be reheated. In the last 5 years since my mom died and even before he has survived on processed frozen and canned foods.

A big part of me would rather escape to my childhood home. The solitude and calm when there is no one other than my father there can be amazing but with one sister 5 hours a way, another 7 hours away and a brother 30 min away I doubt if the solitude and calm would actually exist. I am on a site that cans (water bath and pressure cans) individual serving cakes, meat dishes many things that my mother used to have us make for the family. It would be nice to provide him with shelf stable versions of those meals.

Today I decided that I would do some meal prep for the coming week for lunch and dinners. I have 5 meals prepared in the fridge, several other quick easy meals with grilled chicken strawberry salads, bacon lettuce & tomato lettuce wrap sandwich’s it kept me busy today while not want to think and while doing laundry

I've always wanted to try canning. I make strawberry pie when the strawberries are in season. I'll find the recipe tomorrow and post it if anyone is interested, along with the homemade pie crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back