• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CPT contract for therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
My T want to try CPT again, have never completed formal CPT, I have done modified versions with this T in the past but am considering trying this again. The thing is he wants me to sign two different treatment contracts. One is the standard that comes from the CPT treatment guide, the second is one that he has modified for his clients. The thing is his modified contract states that the client agrees cpt to refrain from using alcohol or drugs within 2 hours before or after homework assignments which is not part of the formal program. I understand, that using alcohol and drugs are normal avoidance behaviors, but I also feel that with the limited alone time I have it is an agreement that I am not willing to give. I am not a heavy drinker but I like to have a glass of wine in the evening and my doctors (plural) approve of my taking small doses of rec. marijuana to help me sleep rather than taking a prescription pill. If I do CPT his way that means I have to give both of those up as I have a grand total of about 4 hours a night from the time I clock out from work to the time I go to bed.

Have any of you that have done CPT, been asked to make a similar committment for the duration of the program? Am I just being a whiner to not want to do this extra step in a processing therapy that will already be difficult enough?

Have any of you that have done CPT, been asked to make a similar committment for the duration of the program?
Yep.

As explained to me…

96% it’s about coping skills, and pace, and accurate assessments (both personal and professional). It’s easy to push too hard, too fast, when there’s chemical distance on board that’s managing symptom spikes (making the risk of suicide, psychosis, and other forms of rapid decompensation WAY higher).

4% It’s also “not” as effective. Meaning, truly, it IS as effective IF AND ONLY IF the entire process is redone, completely sober / off all meds & substances, after going through it the first time with meds on board.

Am I just being a whiner to not want to do this extra step in a processing therapy that will already be difficult enough?
Um… something is threatening your stress cup, IE the entire way that you maintain functionality in your life, and you’re calling that whining? It’s a valid concern. Full stop.

Are there solutions to concern? Absolutely. Many. But recognising, then addressing the concern has to happen to get to those solutions.

Great, more heavy thinking to be before we get off the ground I honestly just wish I could do ECT and erase all the horrible memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back