• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CSA and Physical Illnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not sure of the correlation or of what you are specefically speaking of. is are you speaking of injuries or diseases? for women only or men as well?
Any genders. There’s the ACE study I’m referring to as well as other studies that have been conducted. What they showed is the large correlation between a person having trauma (especially big childhood traumas) has a tendency to develop things like fibromyalgia, PCOS, lupus, and all the other autoimmune and other types of diseases later on in life.

My question is if I can only afford to either treat my trauma *or* treat my PCOS- which would be the smartest option? Would seeing a therapist and treating the trauma eventually lead to the PCOS healing on its own without me having to go to the doctor for it?

Any genders. There’s the ACE study I’m referring to as well as other studies that have been conducted. What they showed is the large correlation between a person having trauma (especially big childhood traumas) has a tendency to develop things like fibromyalgia, PCOS, lupus, and all the other autoimmune and other types of diseases later on in life.

My question is if I can only afford to either treat my trauma *or* treat my PCOS- which would be the smartest option? Would seeing a therapist and treating the trauma eventually lead to the PCOS healing on its own without me having to go to the doctor for it?
i would recommend treting the illness that is causing you the most suffering. if i were you i would pick the trauma over pcos. but some thing like lupus that could even kill you is a differnt matter all together. if it is effecting your kidneys and things i would not mess around with that.

Would seeing a therapist and treating the trauma eventually lead to the PCOS healing on its own without me having to go to the doctor for it?
Unfortunately, the damage is usually already done when autoimmune disease pops up. What are the results if its left untreated?

Put simply - stress is stress is stress. Stress from physical illness is no different than stress from any other source. An ongoing untreated stressor will affect your PTSD negatively.

I’ve also suffered from CSA. My recent blood tests reported that I have Lupus Anticoagulant Antibodies which cause my blood to clot too easily. So I’m taking blood thinners, likely for the rest of my life. I’ve never had Lupus, btw — yet, during my 20s and 30s, my PCP would often say, “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you have Lupus. Yet I know that you don’t.”

At age 18, I first noticed my Raynaud’a syndrome, where the blood vessels of my hands and fingers would spasm, causing numbness with coldness in my fingers which, would then suddenly turn bright red and swellen with blood. I was told this was caused by either stress or from exposure to extreme temperatures. The extreme temperatures I can understand but other times the only explanation was stress. Rarely has my Raynaud’s syndrome flared-up during the past decade. Yet for many years, my Raynaud’s was chronic on a daily basis.

PCOS I hadn’t had although, my periods were always heavy and irregular. My hormone levels seemed quite normal and had always tested normal.

My thyroid levels have always been borderline low while, I’ve always had symptoms similar to hypothyroidism.

I also have a chronic irregular heartbeat, called a bigeminy, first diagnosed during my early 20s. I was then told this problem was cellular in nature and unexplainable. Possibly stress related also?

I did had symptoms of chronic fibromyalgia between my mid 40s to mid 60s. I was under a great deal of stress between 1990 and 2002 and perhaps, this might have caused it. Arthritis hasn’t been an issue for me. I did however suffer from severe migraines (hormone related?) between 1999 and 2017.

Yet due to my brain tumor and past TBI, it’s difficult to know what has caused what. Then too, I was told that my brain tumor was interfering with my RAM sleep.

I’ve also suffered from CSA. My recent blood tests reported that I have Lupus Anticoagulant Antibodies which cause my blood to clot too easily. So I’m taking blood thinners, likely for the rest of my life. I’ve never had Lupus, btw — yet, during my 20s and 30s, my PCP would often say, “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you have Lupus. Yet I know that you don’t.”

At age 18, I first noticed my Raynaud’a syndrome, where the blood vessels of my hands and fingers would spasm, causing numbness with coldness in my fingers which, would then suddenly turn bright red and swellen with blood. I was told this was caused by either stress or from exposure to extreme temperatures. The extreme temperatures I can understand but other times the only explanation was stress. Rarely has my Raynaud’s syndrome flared-up during the past decade. Yet for many years, my Raynaud’s was chronic on a daily basis.

PCOS I hadn’t had although, my periods were always heavy and irregular. My hormone levels seemed quite normal and had always tested normal.

My thyroid levels have always been borderline low while, I’ve always had symptoms similar to hypothyroidism.

I also have a chronic irregular heartbeat, called a bigeminy, first diagnosed during my early 20s. I was then told this problem was cellular in nature and unexplainable. Possibly stress related also?

I did had symptoms of chronic fibromyalgia between my mid 40s to mid 60s. I was under a great deal of stress between 1990 and 2002 and perhaps, this might have caused it. Arthritis hasn’t been an issue for me. I did however suffer from severe migraines (hormone related?) between 1999 and 2017.

Yet due to my brain tumor and past TBI, it’s difficult to know what has caused what. Then too, I was told that my brain tumor was interfering with my RAM sleep.

Just want to say that hormone levels can rest normal with pcos - like any condition that’s ONE of the diagnostic criteria- I cannot remember precisely right now how many of the diagnostic criteria have to be met but other indicators of pcos can be cysts evident on scanning, and symptoms including excess facial hair , Thinning head hair, acanthus nigricans……

my hormone results vary. Only once have they had a pcos typical reading . But I have many of the other symptoms. I was diagnosed back in the mid 00s when cysts were scanned and I was deemed to have enough symptomatoc expression .

If a person only had the financial means to either treat the physical illness OR go to therapy- would the therapy eventually treat that physical illness on its own?
Physical illness initially caused by stress often does physical damage that no amount of therapy will fix. What you do, I think, depends on what kind of symptoms you're having. Some things can often be treated naturally.
I don’t have insurance and limited money,
I was in this position for over a year. I was finally approved for Medicaid - do you have anything like that where you are?

Reactions: Mee
Just want to say that hormone levels can rest normal with pcos - like any condition that’s ONE of the diagnostic criteria- I cannot remember precisely right now how many of the diagnostic criteria have to be met but other indicators of pcos can be cysts evident on scanning, and symptoms including excess facial hair , Thinning head hair, acanthus nigricans……

my hormone results vary. Only once have they had a pcos typical reading . But I have many of the other symptoms. I was diagnosed back in the mid 00s when cysts were scanned and I was deemed to have enough symptomatoc expression .
I only have a thick rippled skin in my lower back over my spine. But it's not dark. I have what looks like 'chicken skin' on my upper chest. My doctor had to laugh when he saw it. But I have no other unusual skin, no facial hair and nearly nething on my entire head, including my eye lashes and eye brows. I've had thin hair since infancy.

Thanks everybody! I thought I wouldn't be able to afford treating both (trauma and PCOS and a few other things) because my work wasn't providing insurance and my income is limited. But, thankfully after talking to work I'm approved to have insurance that will start soon and I think it will allow me to get all kinds of help. I know it drastically reduces the cost of therapy so I'm starting there and I think it will make medical more accessible and I can at least get some of the things I want done. I don't know just how much I'll be able to afford but we'll see.

My question is if I can only afford to either treat my trauma *or* treat my PCOS- which would be the smartest option?
I choose medical.

1. Because medical problems are Easy Button fixes.

2. Because any GOOD psych treatment will send you to a doctor, anyways, before treating your psych symptoms… to rule out medical causes &/or medical problems that are making psych symptoms appear or worsen. Like a person can be depressed AND have thyroid/hormonal based depression. You can be in therapy for 50 years and get no improvement on the depression, because the hormone based part is left untreated. Once the hormones are stabilized? Then, and only then, does therapy actually help the depression that’s left. But if a person has PTSD & depression, and the depression is ONLY caused by the thyroid issues? Voila! Half your problems sorted in 3 days worth of thyroid meds.

3. Because when a doctor refers for therapy, instead of self referral, all of a sudden that’s no longer falling under psych benefits -with most insurance- but unlimited outpatient services with a flat copay. <<< Makes no never mind if you’re paying out of pocket, or want to keep your psych & med separate, or aren’t seeing someone with a provider code (IE McCounseling up to unlicensed masters degrees, instead of a PsyD, LCSW, Nurse Practitioner -doctorate of nursing, prescribing nurse, psychiatric prescribing nurse, are other names-, or Psychiatrist ) but it’s tens of thousands of dollars saved, otherwise.

Last edited:
I don’t have insurance and limited money, which is where the rub comes from 😕. My work does have an EAP but it’s two sessions and I don’t want to sound ungrateful but, what would I even do with that?
I’m hearing you. I see that.

Okay, so then the game is changed to applying for benefits - based on your income.

Or am I stupid again?

I’m okay to look stupid to try to help. :)

I think it’s healthcare.gov and input your income - and also make sure to check the guidelines of income for insurance… they will ask for household. Just state YOUR income if there aren’t really people helping you.

if you qualify for Medicaid, then all of your services are covered 100%.
You do have to be truthful in household earnings, but do not call other people’s earnings to shoot your elf in the foot.
You can google it. It’s somewhere around 20k for a single person.
But, yes, you do have to put real figures when getting quotes.

The rule for incomes over the poverty limit is that healthcare cannot exceed 9% of your income.

that’s why this “Obamacare” site exists. It will do those quotes for you. If healthcare exceeds your income, it will reduce what you pay to have care.

If you are earning at the poverty-cutoff, then it will recommend Medicaid in your area. At least that’s how I remember it.

I’m hearing you. I see that.

Okay, so then the game is changed to applying for benefits - based on your income.

Or am I stupid again?

I’m okay to look stupid to try to help. :)

I think it’s healthcare.gov and input your income - and also make sure to check the guidelines of income for insurance… they will ask for household. Just state YOUR income if there aren’t really people helping you.

if you qualify for Medicaid, then all of your services are covered 100%.
You do have to be truthful in household earnings, but do not call other people’s earnings to shoot your elf in the foot.
You can google it. It’s somewhere around 20k for a single person.
But, yes, you do have to put real figures when getting quotes.

The rule for incomes over the poverty limit is that healthcare cannot exceed 9% of your income.

that’s why this “Obamacare” site exists. It will do those quotes for you. If healthcare exceeds your income, it will reduce what you pay to have care.

If you are earning at the poverty-cutoff, then it will recommend Medicaid in your area. At least that’s how I remember it.

So, I am getting insurance finally as you saw cause weirdness at work. Someone messed up something and now it’s getting fixed.

Anyway, I’m glad you brought this up. Because I’m really confused by how exactly the healthcare.gov thing works. So I did try it awhile back and it came back with not having plans for me that I was below the income limits and my option was to get Medicaid through my state. *But* when I applied for Medicaid it wouldn’t let me get it because I didn’t have any children to add or verifiable disabilities. So I didn’t qualify for either Medicaid or the Marketplace? It was weird and I was super confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back