On The Observed Dichotomy Between Mental and Physical Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, working with an Eeyore would make some of you quit your jobs?! I've had to work with many much more unpleasant people than that. I'd rather work with an Eeyore than a Tigger, but an asshole is even worse and I've worked with plenty of those without quitting.

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
Jeez, working with an Eeyore would make some of you quit your jobs?!

With my own mental and physical health issues and annual income range? Heck yes, I can afford to pick and choose - in fact to remedy that it one point was why I switched to agency and worked solo. Jobs in my former vocations were a dime a dozen and employers will practically move heaven and earth to keep an outstanding and valued employee or retain them in some "prn" or part time status on the off chance you want to return. A corporate version of Tom Boddette's "We'll leave the light on for ya".

rather work with an Eeyore than a Tigger
Good thing I'm not lookin' for a job then, since aside from stunted "playful/fun" due to PTSD/trauma I trend more to him on the personality array. I was personally disappointed however that Benjamin Hoff neither did a book for both of 'em (Eeyore or Tigger). And yeah, some people at work thought I was an asshole.... but management loved me in most all cases and that affects my pay check so was A-Okay by me. Off topic a tad but sort of interesting (click if ya want to enlarge - whoopsie for my misspelling):
Link Removed

I actually had a weekend seminar for this a long LONG time ago. It was fun.

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
Aw... poof it's gone. Damn shame so here's an old article that just highlights the dichotomy of Tigger and Eeyores. Old material for me and we had 4 on the array (Tigger, Pooh, Piglet & Eeyore). Seen other stuff online that "tests" on 7 but I didn't bother having already done a weekend thing. Can't vouch for the quiz but the old article encapsulates in a nutshell the dichotomy/potential friction: Quiz: Are You a "Tigger" or an "Eeyore"? Plus a Few Points to Consider.
Note in particular, "And if you are a Tigger or an Eeyore, do you realize that you may be fostering the very behavior in your counterpart that you hope will change?" - That's my cue to pull another feline move - Snagglepuss and "exit stage left" should I assess, like I said personal difficulties elevating and the "value" of the employment dropping below what one can reasonably expect in the performance of a JOB.

Last edited:

SeekingAfrica

MyPTSD Pro
I kind of find your friends comment extremely rude. I mean yes, perhaps it would be distracting seeing someone at work. I for one would try and console them. Part of the reason I use to cry in the bathroom daily when I had internship while depressed. But her implying it's better for you to stay home isn't always the answer. Honestly I'm proud of you, you're still showing up and trying, however you feel.

And yes for some places there are mental health days. Here they are not a thing yet. You do have sick days, but depending on the type of job how you can use them. Some places would ask how sick are you etc and ask you to still come in if they don't have enough people--and saying you're depressed wouldn't cut it in as serious enough, sadly.

In some work places if you stayed home because of mental health they might take it as not taking your job seriously. Or overreacting. It's sad but true. The world is yet to catch up to mental health awareness, even more in workplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.