• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dealing with mental health and the call to activism

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got off a social media platform where a friend has posted a call to activism. Quoting someone saying it wasn't good enough to just educate yourself on issues but you needed to help fix the issues while using some analogy to get it across how morally insensitive it is to not help others. This is just one of a handful of "shoulds" messages I see from time to time. Telling people what to do or that what they are doing isn't good enough.

I've been struggling with my mental health and physical health (I'm exhausted all the time) I'm going to a medical doctor soon to get tests done and ask for medication for anxiety in the mean time I try to get myself to do income work.

I don't feel like I'm in a place to give back. I have felt guilt (borderline shame) over not being able to do more than to educate myself on the issues. Then I see messages invalidating what I've done and blanketed statements that suggests all should do this or that.

I don't see people giving space for those struggling with mental and physical health problems. If you didn't vote it's your fault if the political party didn't get what they wanted. If you don't fight for these issues you're morally reprehensible. There's no thought about how mental and physical health problems might impede the ability to function and do. I feel like if I'd say, "hey I feel unseen and hurt by these messages" that would just be proof of how terrible I am in the people eyes who post this stuff.

While I see messages about mental health saying, "it's okay if all you did was survive" I don't see people posting articles and posts about how it's okay if you can't give back. I just see people saying they have mental and physical issues but they still did something.

I guess I'm feeling alone. I feel there's no space for me to just focus on recovery.

TLDR; when you see messages that are a call of action that shame or guilt those who don't, how do you respond?

In the course of my recovery from bacterial meningitis of my brain health care providers therapists nurses emphasized safety and self- care first. As I grew to understand trauma more and codependency and narcissism and making a few mistakes getting involved with a few churches and individuals who said I was being selfish or could not afford to do what I was doing these people have their own unhealthy agendas.My life is not worth it.

On top of what @joeylittle said...

Self care *is* doing something.

And going to protests, risking injury to yourself & others & worse, may not be self care.

It may be the exact opposite of it, and soo not the goal.

Most of us on this site have severe health issues - not just with the disorder we here for :) - taking care of these & not adding new ones via participation in something that has a high potential to result in both violence and lethal lung issues - is responsible. Good stuff. Honorable behavior. Good citizenship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back