• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do People Sometimes Reflect Your Intensity That Scares Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jp, I definitely understand, and have come to that conclusion myself. So many people just 'shut' the bad stuff out it hurts, they put up barriers. Or they focus more on the good things. Some people need to run because they can't handle the truth of what really happens, or they can't understand something so horrible.

I used to be very frustrated with that kind of thing myself, except now...I understand that is their only way to cope. Otherwise they may just fall apart too. It's finding the balance, and some people just aren't ready!

Denial is a shield to cover the pain, and people will go through all sorts of lengths so that their denial isn't shattered.

On the bright side JP, the beauty of our intensity (despite the sadness that scares people away) is that the few people who do end up surrounding us (if any), are usually the true people. And as I've found since coming here, there are many of us out there :).

Families tend to be excellent at this.

Don't I know it! Some families are excellent at this because they don't want to believe something so horrible could happen to their child, and that they couldn't protect/do something about it. They begin to feel week and powerless, and it begins to tear at them. It's a safety mechanism (as you well know :P)

It's easy to know that intellectually. But emotionally is a whole different story. I wish every part of me knew that my family denied me not because of me but because of their own issues. But I only know that on the surface-level. And it hurts. So Jp, and all other posters, I can definitely relate to where you're coming from. Hugs, and I'm sorry your friends/family deny your PTSD or your abuse or whatever other things they deny about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back