1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do you have to give it a go to know if you're ready to get out there?

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by zebbidee, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

It’s a way to ground out here & now, in this moment, by finding 5 things.

Something you
    - See
    - Hear
    - Taste
    - Touch
    - Smell

For me, this doesn’t work if I’m stuck in my head (nor it’s cousin, find 5 blue things or similar), because it just pushes me deeper into the memory or my head.

I still use sensory tricks, by doing them, usually by doing something rather opposite of what I’m doing in my head, rather than by describing what I’m aware of.
    Freida and Elmez like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. zebbidee

zebbidee Active Member

Oh you just pick one of the senses, I like touch, and you consciously acknowledge what you are touching and tell yourself "my hand is on the desk", "my feet are on the floor", "my back is on the chair" (whatever applies). It just grounds you in the present. You can also do sight etc. "I see blue sky" but I find touch most effective for me.
  4. Elmez

Elmez New Member

Thank you both @Friday and @zebbidee i will certainly give that a go. Nice how help comes when you need it. My psychologist wants me to work on just that (grounding) this week. Thanks again!!
    Freida likes this.
  5. zebbidee

zebbidee Active Member

Very welcome @Elmez, hope it helps. I find it really effective when I feel I'm going into a panic, getting anxious or if I'm going to cry at an inappropriate time (happens, alot lol).
  6. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

My T has me do 5 things but a bit longer version -- find 5 things I can see/hear/touch then 4 things, then 3 and so on. I usually get settled in about the time I hit 3
    Elmez likes this.
  7. CyclePath

CyclePath Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder on this trick. I could have used it a few times recently and spaced it out.
    zebbidee and Freida like this.