• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fear That T Will Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytai

MyPTSD Pro
I had a group therapy weekend this weekend, my T was a facilitator, and there was another T there facilitating. The other T announced that she was retiring (her and T ended up saying their ages), so T is only a year younger than this other T who is retiring. And cue the fear. I just got my official DID diagnosis, so now T knows her feeling was right and to start treating it that way. It took me a while to get comfortable with T, and not to run from her when I got scared, and also to really really trust her. My fear is that she is going to retire in the next few years and that my parts will just have started to trust her, and work with her, and then she will retire and I will have to try to start all over again with someone else.

Problem being that there are no therapists that do the kind of work she does, not many in my province anyways, and she's the only T that has ever helped me, that I've ever connected with. I know I'm jumping ahead and worrying about something that hasn't happened yet, and hasn't even been announced. This other therapist's announcement this weekend just really triggered this fear of my own T retiring.

I'm embarrassed to mention this to T. Is anyone else scared of this happening?

My T is close to the official retirement age and jokes that he's already retired twice, or maybe 3 times. (He's not sure. LOL) So, it's possible he might retire again. I hope he doesn't, but he has to live his life too. When he relocated his office a few months ago, he said "There are a lot of people who do what I do." I said that that might be true, but I didn't know any others, didn't think there were many around here, and that surely he didn't think all people in his line of work were totally interchangeable. That stopped him. LOL He agreed that therapists are NOT totally interchangeable, but I guess we're both pretty sure there's another one out there, somewhere, I could work with. If he decides to retire, I think I can trust him to give me some time and help me come up with a plan. But, I also know he loves what he does (most of the time anyway) so his age isn't really a factor in the decision. He might keep doing it for a long time.

@mytai , I can totally understand your concern. I think your T would understand it too. Rather than keeping it to yourself, maybe you should mention it to her, so the 2 of you can discuss it. I always feel better if I have some kind of plan, even if I probably won't need to use it.

I can totally understand where you are coming from with your fear of your T retiring. My T is 64 (65 is the age of retirement here) I have only been seeing her for 2 months and this was a concern with me but she told me when I first starting seeing her what her age was and that she planned on working till at least 70 or as long as her mind let her.
If you could bring it up with your T I think this would help you and I am sure she will understand your worry

It is my T' s birthday on Thursday, and mine next week. When I first started seeing him he commented how close our birthdays are. We were born in the same year. I am retiring next summer so it would be unreasonable of me not to consider that T might also. I hope not. I would like him to support me through that transition into retired life, but I really cannot complain if he chooses to.

Mine retired... You do get over it. It sucked in the beginning, but I was happy he could retire and have that opportunity. He went on to do other types of work instead of private practice. I wouldn't borrow trouble, but if you can't put it away I think you should just ask your t what her plans are.

Well I through it in at the end of an email with a feedback form both wanted for the group therapy weekends. Put it in a joking manner, so I will see if she brings it up next week. Said something along the lines of "for the love of god, please don't retire anytime soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back