• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

First EMDR next week, whats your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubblegum

Learning
I was on my way to get Ketamine therapy, but had to postpone it for now. My T noted that I need proper treatment before we go any further, so I'm set up for EMDR this upcoming monday.

So I'm curious, how was your experience with EMDR? Did it help?

It's a little different every time. I've found that at first it was pretty quick and easy and didn't really affect me much outside of the first couple hours after it was over. As I've gotten deeper and deeper into core beliefs, though, I'm finding that sometimes I will stay dysregulated for days.

It's still helpful, though.

It's a little different every time. I've found that at first it was pretty quick and easy and didn't really affect me much outside of the first couple hours after it was over. As I've gotten deeper and deeper into core beliefs, though, I'm finding that sometimes I will stay dysregulated for days.

It's still helpful, though.
Thats good to know really, thanks for sharing your experience. I know a little more on what to expect, hope the first time wont be so hard then.

EMDR has helped me a lot. I started with the 'easier' memories and I got relief pretty quickly, several times in one session. Now, as we navigate the more intense trauma, it's a longer process. I'm always tired afterward, but when I finish and process a memory, I feel amazing.

Have you done the prep work for EMDR with your therapist? I'm guessing you have and you're starting your first EMDR session. I quickly discovered how important and helpful the container and safe place are. And as you do it more, it helps more. Good luck!

So far its working really well. I even learned my part in it right away. Tell the therapist everything I can about me and then watch the therapists hand......

Sort of the same as @somerandomguy, but a little more weird right now. Therapy hangover is always there for a few days but lately its moved to day to day. Not that its all bad but I know when I see 4:30 AM tomorrow's not going to be great. We are working on the same area as @somerandomguy is and I know there's a lot of mental scar tissue and 45 years worth of stuff inbetween so it's not unexpected.

Keep your T's number handy. The container @Sues mentioned can open outside therapy. Mine did once but it was when a memory that was buried long ago resurfaced...

I’ve been 4? years working on getting stable enough to do EMDR.

That’s a bit extreme... it “usually” only takes a few weeks or few months to stabilise enough for trauma therapy. I’ve had a few bumps in that road that have delayed things, a bit.

But since part of doing EMDR is the prep-work for it? Figured I might as well chime in. As I’m still in prep-stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back