• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Flashbacks vs Nightmares

Do you suffer flashbacks, or non-specific nightmares?

• I suffer flashbacks of my trauma(s)

Votes: 26 16.9%
  • I suffer from non-specific nightmares

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I suffer from a mixture of flashbacks and non-specific nightmares

Votes: 107 69.5%
  • I do not suffer from flashbacks or nightmares

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nightmares mostly. I go through periods of them where I then dread going to sleep because of them. Last night I stayed up till 2 even though I was exhausted and then woke up at 6:45. I also will get what I call moments during intimacy. I will all of a sudden freak out and feel like I am somewhere else and that it is not the person I love with me but someone else and I want to push them off me. I cry and then curl up into a ball. I don't really like to call them flashbacks because I am not thinking it is the man that raped me on top of me but that it is some stranger and they are hurting me.

I have both specific and non-specific nightmares, and lots of them...very little on the flashbacks. Many times my nightmares seem to be taking pieces of what happened, and molding them into other scenarios. I feel the same fear and the resulting injury is still the same, but how I got it differs.

I had to choose the last one... I don't suffer either anymore. If you asked me this years ago, yes would have been the answer. Now... nothing for those two.

I decided to vote no as I have so few flashbacks and no nightmares at all. Actually it's rare that I even remember my dreams. I had one the other night that I rememberd, First time in ages.

I had nightmares of the event for many years but they have subsided to a once in a blue moon but when it comes up I'm wiped out for a day or so. Flashbacks are a monthly though, sometimes daily as the event date becomes closer. My Pdoc has me on Buspar, and it can give you some pretty weird dreams-at least in my case.

Non- specific nightmares for several years, now I can go on for a long period of time without having any. At least once I have had a night terror (non-specific, it included a crow on a sewing machine...)

I suffer from flashbacks where my body , mind feels like it is re-experiencing the fear, taste, physical hurt etc... I have nightmares that are non-specific where I wake up , remember the dream and remain quite agitated , shaky... I also have nightmares that are related to the specific traumas.... I scream in my sleep, shake, wake up in a cold sweat, and can't get back to sleep for a long time... those stay with me for days.... I also suffer from panic attacks that hit me out of the blue, usually from a trigger that I recongnize only after I have calmed down and had time to think about it.

i get flashbacks still and i get nightmares but im not remembering them anymore, i know ive had them because i wake up in sweats or i wake myself up screaming, think the whole not remembering thing is a new thing my brain is doing to try and protect me

I suffer from both. The nightmares I have are very vivid. the flashbacks are almost hallucinatory for me, in that I really fell like I'm there. Usually it's one sense that really confuses my reality for me. I'm used to the auditory and sight, but when smell, and touch get involved I'm in for a very rough night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back