• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Gardening

For me…the plants I brought indoors - I don’t think they are making it in the ground again this year

I’ve been focused on all my indoor plants and the ivy grew two new leaves. I had to move all the plants off my kitchen sill because the cold

And I like their new places

I have a few “floating” plants idk what to do with maybe post pics later of my fav indoor plants

Sent mom home with two plants … one I overwater on accident no matter what (what does it want two drops of water?) she will save it
And I gave her a clipping of a cute vining plant idk what it’s called

Really can’t wait to garden outdoors

I need to figure out what’s going in the deck planter or if I’m moving it to more sun

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a rat to leave a compost bin? I'm assuming it's a rat as it's digging out half the contents, presumably to nest in there over winter. I've tried banging on the sides and kicking the bin, and putting all the compost back in, but it just digs jut out again.

I don't want to kill it, just convince it to move on.
The only reliable way I know is a cat.

We had a ratapalooza a few months back (nearby construction, so all the displaced rats were looking for a new home), until they discovered the yard waste bins from the apartment complex nearby. Food minus felines? Done.

It’s easier to buy a cat, than an apartment complex?

You can also buy various feline urines from gardening/hunting stores… cougar works a treat on most rodents, just mark territory where you don’t want them… but without a few periodic deaths the effectiveness wears off, over time. Kinda like scarecrows coming the favourite perch for birds. Rats are smart. When no one gets eaten? After a few months they ignore things like scent marking.

The only reliable way I know is a cat.
There’s been studies into this - cats aren’t typically very reliable at controlling vermin. Places that have high numbers of roaming cats have been found to have just a big a vermin issue as places with low numbers of roaming cats.

Prob’ly coz domestic cats are killing for shits n giggles.

Snakes work, though!!!!

rodent-proof compost bin
There are these elevated drum things that you turn and they have holes so you can water and air gets in. Holes are too small for rodents to get in, there’s a little door you open to put stuff in. I think they are supposed to be for cultivating soldier fly larva which is a way of composting that can do animal products too, but not sure about if earthworms can go in there because I think they would fall out?

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a rat to leave a compost bin? I'm assuming it's a rat as it's digging out half the contents, presumably to nest in there over winter. I've tried banging on the sides and kicking the bin, and putting all the compost back in, but it just digs jut out again.

I don't want to kill it, just convince it to move on.
I have some experience with rats but unfortunately for you there are not many nice or easy ways. The rats are intelligent and tenacious. If they are eating and warm and dry they will tend to stay. The professionals use bait stations here. Although they frequent the neighborhood and all our yards they’ve left my compost alone. What kind of bin do you have ? I use this though in the reviews people have said the rats chew through it. Good luck.

I bought ginger to cook with, forgot about it and it sprouted! (In 8 spots!) so I’m growing ginger again. (On the deck planter, hoping the leaves provide more privacy.)

—during 🎤 practice at church we were waiting for a track to transpose so I brought up having a garden at church…Now I’m in charge of that haha. 😆 A is doing it with me and of course we will all work together but this post will remind me I can handle this and believe it will be good for me to focus on:

morning glories, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, and strawberries. 💒

Next to the church lives a guy C and his daughter. She’s 7, very sweet and we bond! She asked her Dad if she could help garden 🙏now I realize she will be the closest to the garden and I find that so special for her 🥰

At home my garden has been started but—- not entering any contests and definitely haven’t worked much. Hopefully this week I feel stronger

Back