• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting A Service Dog.

My sister doesn't tolerate this at all.

^I know..I think I tolerate it well. I find it amusing, perhaps a little disconcerting and at times I'm really impressed at K's staying power.

Whenever your dog starts engaging in behaviour that you don't want? Instead of trying to train them to just not do that, train them what behaviour you'd prefer, and reward them for doing that alternative behaviour:)

^Yes - I am employing this in all areas. It works so well.

The internal dialogue you have going on when this happens ("My dog needs attention/why can't you leave me alone/I'm a terrible dog owner who isn't giving my dog enough attention" etc)? Try and notice it, and let it go.

^I don't have those thoughts but I do think I feel guilty because she puts in so much effort to please me and I'm sure I am not at all grateful enough.

there's a whole lot of people out there feeding their dogs cookies and bacon (really!?).

^I know.. I see obese ppl walking obese dogs a fair bit. Full points for taking them for a walk but.. slowing down the intake would resolve many health issues the 'modern' dog suffers from. I'm sure dogs are not happy carrying excess kilos.. eventhough they seem to want to eat all the time.

^I put K on a diet about a month ago. Well, not really - the word diet is a bit harsh. But I did reduce her once a day meal down again, by 10 grams. She did notice for the first couple of nights.. but then stopped returning to her bowl to double, triple check if there was anymore in it. Being a young dog the extra couple of kg's melted off her in a week?? I'm so jealous of her fast metabolism tbh.

And second, that rawhide bones are worth about 9 donuts in human terms. Wowsers!

^When K eats one...she's so full she's almost completely sated. That's not good for training... I need her to be enthusiastic. Anyway it's gone now and she doesn't know it but she'll not be getting another one.

nasty bleaching product they use to make rawhide treats.

^I didn't know this. Yuk. Thank you for info.!

check out the range of dried meat/bone treats as an alternative. Great for teeth, and most of them are straight up dried meat/bone.

^Yeah.. I've got deer shins... She's very happy chewing on them.. The first one she's got has lasted six months and she'll still chew on it. Her teeth were needing a clean before she started on the bone but now they're perfectly clean.

They're more expensive, but for good chewers (
^Yes.. $28 per bone... very expensive. Just as well they last a long time!

f you get lucky with a dog that doesn't have health problems it's not worth it. But for me? It has been a godsend.

^So in one way I'm taking a big gamble. Idk... K is fit and healthy now but because we're so active it may well be worth pushing through the fine details and finding a policy that would be helpful. This is the problem with insurance and I HATE it. I'm getting some help to work out what may be appropriate coverage.

Glad you're dog is getting the medical help he needs. I can only imagine with those kinds of conditions the long term financial stress.

Yay! We've finally had our last assessment for inside the house working. And she passed.

It was done via Zoom since our state borders are still closed and likely to be for a really long time.

Her new certificate card is on the way to us.

The outside work assessment will be done maybe next year? I'm not too concerned as she accompanies me everywhere and is doing the her job well. Her PAC is current.

Thanks you guys... I was a bit stressed with this last assessment and really breathed a long sigh when it was over.

I know it's only routine and in accordance with relevant laws and regs.. But it's still a big thing to get done and dusted for the next twelve months.

And honestly, having to tidy up my house every single week and sometimes twice a week was tiring. Note to self - don't make such a mess! Everyone who needed to come irl and via internet was kind and patient but still....

We've just been for a walk and it started pouring rain again.. so we got soaked. K loves the rain now because she knows when she gets wet she gets to play tug, make crazy faces and do zoomies around the back yard and even be allowed on my wooden chairs on the back patio to get dried off. (saves my back) So she gets super excited.. It's quite the session drying her off and I end up with four really doggy, dirty towels. lol.

But the best & biggest bonus is I delay her next bath again. She's snowy white again except where's she's red and so velvety soft. Better than any shampoo!

K has decided to take up being a stare bear again.
Easy fix if you want it... yawn. One better is to yawn, sigh, & look away through narrowed eyes as one big “you bore me”.

It’s not specific to dogs, although all canines do it, but rather to large mammals... and it’s incredibly effective, across all large mammals, including dogs. It even stops 80% of puppy nonsense (the other 20% gets a smack growl or bite growl).

I’ve even used this on my house cat, although as a small mammal it’s only effective part of the time... and is an integral behaviour I use with all dogs in my acquaintance. My own & other people’s. (I did it with a retired k9 at one point, and THAT was f*cking hilarious. Instinct -v- training. Poor pup. I totally f*cked up their head. Someday I’ll do it on a dog ordered to attack just to see if it buys any time, acute order instead of acting on standing orders, but I don’t know any active k9 handlers with a bite-me-all-the-f*ck-you-want-suit at the moment).

It’s essentially mammal for “knock it the f*ck off, BEFORE I get mad”. And it’s quirky, that way... as it prompts no “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry!” reactions / as it doesn’t signal anger or disappointment; and yet does prompt instant (I’m Serious!) STOP! behaviour.

Last edited:
I have finally received formal notification that I am approved for a SD. Yay! My dog is currently being trained in the special doggy academy and has yet to pass his examinations and be registered. So... it might be several months before we are introduced. I am not told anything until he/she passes.

I have been through several rounds of interviews, medicals, reports, bureaucracy with lots and lots of questions. Home inspections and more! The process is very thorough and I understand why and now.. I am finally through. Cannot believe it really. Just thought I would tell you all. :)
Congrats for you
Can I ask you who you went thru. I have been trying to get one for both my adult son who suffers from autism and my fiancé that suffers from PTSD

I’ve even used this on my house cat, although as a small mammal it’s only effective part of the time..

^Huh.. a cat taking notice. Hmm.. I surprised you didn't get a contemptuous yawn back lol!

One better is to yawn, sigh, & look away through narrowed eyes as one big “you bore me”.
^Thank you! Her staring isn't worrying me... I'm gobsmacked at her intensity and persistence. Makes me laugh out loud.

She also rummages around in her toy basket and brings a toy to me, deposits it at my feet lol... aaand waits n waits... giggle...

But when I know I'm not going to be caving to the stares it may be better to signal her to give it up. Usually I continue to ignore her and after a while she gets too tired - but it's a long while sometimes!

I've seem the 'yawning' done by dogs before! Never knew it was a body language thing, well I thought they were tired lol! So that's great information - to keep up my sleeve. Maybe when she's getting really full on bat sh*t crazy while I'm trying to rub her down before we come inside and I don't want to another shirt/jumper sleeve shredded? Usually I use my warning word 'ack'. But next time we go walking in the rain and come back soaked I'm going to try it out.

She's sitting off to my left staring adoringly up at me..

I tried it.. three (3) !! times... big, slow yawn & squinting eyes and turning my head...

Then I did it again, then again.

She wiggled her tail and tilted her head.. lifting one ear momentarily then stared right on back... still laughing...

Back