General Help me align my reality

Flying Dove

Confident
Husband said he read in news that consumers would stop spending 12/23. The money has run out. The consequences would be collapse crimes robbery etc. I did a fact check myself. Can't see this will occur. What has happened is trauma to us as a couple again. Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Yes Americans are way over extended on debt.

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Yes Americans are way over extended on debt.
Any time you’re talking statistics?

“This” is the base

- 80 / 20 (minus “outliers” that don’t even rate a full percent, like 1:1,000,000, whereas a whole percent is 1:100)
- 75 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 0.5 / + infinitesimal scattergorizing+ outliers.

IE Most, Some, Few. Outliers. (Outliers are wildly off course, whether in glut or absence. Like outliers are allergic to Tylenol. Whilst not just most, but the overwhelming,long majority, are just fine with Tylenol; outliers can & do happen. They’re just so incrediably rare as to not make the count. Except? For statisticians and warning labels.). The 1-3% in wealth. The 1-3% in tragedy. Same, statistically.

What your husband read? Is probably true. As, after a couple years in Covid, plus a couple of years “catching up”, means that MOST consumers will hit a slump… but? That’s not an end of the world thing. That’s a natural human thing. That businesses? Need to be veeeeeery aware of. But we’re also not talking zombie apocalypse. We’re talking natural human behavior following a slump. There is going to be increased consumption following a famine. Full stop.

It will spike, then even out.

Then the slump.

A couple years in famine. A couple years in “catching up”. A couple years equalizing.

Back to “normal”.

Last edited:
One of the best things we've ever done is hire a financial advisor who is trained to take the long, historical view on the economy. We're not well off, and especially now that we're headed to retirement things like the stock market dips can freak me out. Our advisor has talked me off the ledge more than once. Everyone has opinions on the economy, but IMO it pays to hear from those with expertise.

Back