• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Help me sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

affect

I did not sleep at all last night yerstday i slept for 3 hours, the night before nothing the night before 4 hours. I am struggling the mental health system is terrible and wouldn't provide my prescribed medication for sleep i went to ED and no mental health support was available for hours so i had to leave. I really am trying to help myself however my coping technicques meditation, lavender oil etc is not working. Does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: Mee
I did not sleep at all last night yerstday i slept for 3 hours, the night before nothing the night before 4 hours. I am struggling the mental health system is terrible and wouldn't provide my prescribed medication for sleep i went to ED and no mental health support was available for hours so i had to leave. I really am trying to help myself however my coping technicques meditation, lavender oil etc is not working. Does anyone have any advice?
Have you tried any sleep meditations on youtube? guided meditations?
I have tons I can send you or link you to.

ex.

Reactions: Mee
Hi affect, are you in therapy specifically for PTSD? Depression related insomnia and anxiety related insomnia are quite different things.

I struggle immensely with sleep and have poor sleep quality when I do fall asleep. I have dysphoria + PTSD, so bleeeh.

On the natural side of things, it's important to wind down before sleeping. No screens. Nope. Not a single one. 1 hour beforehand. Not eating after 9pm also helps. Having infusions with something driving you there: chamomile, Linden... Or any infusion just to have something warm and nice. Avoid coffee in the day. Drops of valeriana Officinalis are somewhat sleep inducing.

I also like to hear pink noise as it helps my mind lose its grip on things.

Meditation if it suits you. Guided ones are nice as you can also let your mind f*ck off for a moment.

All these are helpers. You can go see your GP for having sleep medication, it's not only mental health services that help out with this!

Good luck!

I’m going to also say guided meditations - try different voices and ambient noises/ music combinations. It can take a while to find ones that work for you.

meditation is sometimes less effective for me now I have ptsd than it was before and my alternate suggestion is to play an audio version of very easy listening children’s book - something not scary , nor too silly. When things are really rough for me I opt for something like c.s. Lewis Narnia books or Rick Riordan ( Percy Jackson etc) or fantasy like Patrick Rothfuss. These are interesting enough to help stop intrusive thoughts , but not ‘exciting’ enough as an adult to keep me on the edge of my seat- particularly now I am very familiar with them. I use audible but many, many books can be found on you tube.

this is not ideal . It’s not like 8 hrs sleep in a dark, silent room. But it might help you relax enough to start having energy to think about improving sleep patterns and hygiene in the future.

I'm trying to find soothing videos to watch, like someone working on a piece of wood on a lathe for 40 minutes.
Or some small scale train layout.

Something that catches your attention, with very little noises but gets you mesmerized.

This is the single most useful thing I've found to fall asleep:

Also, if Ican clear my mind for say, 1 minute, I fall asleep. Also, I talk to God, or say I have to put x,y and z with you, (i.e. "I feel (a) about (b), etc" and that sometimes works (but I realize- to each their own).

Hot bath. Calcium magnesium supplement . The powder ones. Mine has vitamin c in it also. Thorne brand. Called calmag. Chamomile tea. Sage tea. Stretches light exercises before bed. Body oil with lavender essential oil in it after the bath. I'm a lady. But you can do lavender and frankinsence lovely mix. Rainymood com if you like thunderstorms. Prayer. Journaling all random thoughts on mind. Doodle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back