• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Hi! Here to connect with others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziza

New Here
Hello everyone, I am glad to have found a place that people understand the struggles I go through daily all my life! I'm turning 58 on Monday and only in the last two years I have realized that I have cptsd!

I've spent 33 years working on myself through the 12 step programs and even though I have learned a lot about myself through the experience, I still have a lot of dysfunctional ways, and overwhelming emotions that I can't explain away! I could never make friends there and I still have a hard time with that. My biggest remaining symptom is anxiety and inability to be ok in the moment. I grew up in a family where fear was the dominant feeling. My dad was an alcoholic, although he was a functioning alcoholic, he used to beat me regularly and as much as I wish I could remember why he was beating me, I don't recall what I had done to get beat so much! My mother was also abusive. She never protected me from my dad and as a matter of fact would tell on me to my dad when he came home if I had done something that I wasn't supposed to do, and I would get beat! She also raged at me called me the worst names you can call someone regularly! She is a narcissist and no matter how much I've tried; my inner child is still angry with her and doesn't want to forgive her!

I had another traumatic event happen where I had to flee my country at 15 years old and migrate. It wasn't by choice, and we became poor after that. I have been in therapy many times over the years, but they were mainly CBT style therapies that didn't address my C-Ptsd at all!

Last year I found a therapist who was trauma informed and we worked together for about 6 months until she raised her fees. I felt very abandoned! She went from $35 to $150 an hour! I have recovered from that and am currently seeing a new therapist, but she isn't as informed as the last one, but I can't afford a great therapist who charges over $100+ an hour! I have only seen the new therapist twice so far and because of how bad I have been feeling, I am not ready to find another therapist yet! This is better than nothing.

I find that I am unable to make decisions for myself and stick to them! I don't have anyone to talk to about what is going on with me! I take anti-depressants which do help, but not enough! I find myself unable to tell myself to do something and do it! I feel tired of trying to live a healthy life. I have forced myself over the years to exercise, lose weight, hike, make friends, etc.... but these have all been extremely difficult and unpleasant I am not able to sustain these activities... I just feel like I can't try anymore!

Thank you for reading my post. I am hoping to find friends here so we can support each other heal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site! CBT works for CPTSD too. I've never had EMDR but I've had years of CBT. This is a good place to learn and heal.I

I'm glad CBT worked for you! That was the only type of therapy I had for the last 30 years, but in the last year, with Trauma therapist, I have healed more than I did in all those years!

Welcome, Ziza. I'm sorry you've grown up with fear and anxiety. I grew up in a family with a lot of fear, too, and am a recovering addict. I hope you feel less alone as you meet people here.
I'm sorry you also grew up in fear! It's terrible! I find myself not being able to relax even though I have been taught to close my eyes, take deep breaths and imagine putting my fears in a container and experience the feeling of safety! I could only do this with my therapist! I can't do it myself effectively when I have anxiety! I am feeling my tensions in my gut daily and don't know how to comfort myself! I am also a recovering addict!

I'm sorry you also grew up in fear! It's terrible! I find myself not being able to relax even though I have been taught to close my eyes, take deep breaths and imagine putting my fears in a container and experience the feeling of safety! I could only do this with my therapist! I can't do it myself effectively when I have anxiety! I am feeling my tensions in my gut daily and don't know how to comfort myself! I am also a recovering addict!
I also grew up with alot of fear and anxiety. I am a recovering alcoholic. Haven't drank or smoked for 17 months. Its difficult to feel safe. I often have alot of hyper-vigilence and can't switch off.

Hello everyone, I am glad to have found a place that people understand the struggles I go through daily all my life! I'm turning 58 on Monday and only in the last two years I have realized that I have cptsd! I've spent 33 years working on myself through the 12 step programs and even though I have learned a lot about myself through the experience, I still have a lot of dysfunctional ways, and overwhelming emotions that I can't explain away! I could never make friends there and I still have a hard time with that. My biggest remaining symptom is anxiety and inability to be ok in the moment. I grew up in a family where fear was the dominant feeling. My dad was an alcoholic, although he was a functioning alcoholic, he used to beat me regularly and as much as I wish I could remember why he was beating me, I don't recall what I had done to get beat so much! My mother was also abusive. She never protected me from my dad and as a matter of fact would tell on me to my dad when he came home if I had done something that I wasn't supposed to do, and I would get beat! She also raged at me called me the worst names you can call someone regularly! She is a narcissist and no matter how much I've tried; my inner child is still angry with her and doesn't want to forgive her! I had another traumatic event happen where I had to flee my country at 15 years old and migrate. It wasn't by choice, and we became poor after that. I have been in therapy many times over the years, but they were mainly CBT style therapies that didn't address my C-Ptsd at all! Last year I found a therapist who was trauma informed and we worked together for about 6 months until she raised her fees. I felt very abandoned! She went from $35 to $150 an hour! I have recovered from that and am currently seeing a new therapist, but she isn't as informed as the last one, but I can't afford a great therapist who charges over $100+ an hour! I have only seen the new therapist twice so far and because of how bad I have been feeling, I am not ready to find another therapist yet! This is better than nothing. I find that I am unable to make decisions for myself and stick to them! I don't have anyone to talk to about what is going on with me! I take anti-depressants which do help, but not enough! I find myself unable to tell myself to do something and do it! I feel tired of trying to live a healthy life. I have forced myself over the years to exercise, lose weight, hike, make friends, etc.... but these have all been extremely difficult and unpleasant I am not able to sustain these activities... I just feel like I can't try anymore!
Thank you for reading my post. I am hoping to find friends here so we can support each other heal.
Hi Ziza,

Welcome here and I am sorry for what you have been through. Hopefully you will find the support you need here. Bless your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back