• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you deal with triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliza

Confident
Hi all,

I know avoidance isn't a healthy tactic. But there are sometimes when a trigger is going to be too much. For example, at work on Friday everyone was talking about the London Bridge attack, and it took word spreading about my PTSD around the office for people to stop talking about it, which just made me feel awkward.

But even after that, it was all over social media, I got alerts from my news app, I heard people talking about it on the train and in the street. There's no way to avoid all of that, short of staying home, staying off social media and avoiding all conversations, which isn't healthy at all.

How do you deal with triggers in everyday life? I wanted just to put my headphones in and not listen, but obviously that's not a permanent option, so if anybody has any techniques to cope with triggers, they would be much appreciated.

so if anybody has any techniques to cope with triggers, they would be much appreciated

Sorry, that the time has been rough for you after the Attack..

Human behavior (Certain patterns) triggers me...
What helps? Humor... I write quotes on my palm when Days are tough. or carry a stone with one word written on it. Visualizing that there is a figure behind me, someone who takes care of me, I prefer someone like Captain Picard from Star Trek or if needed the Borg... on someday it’s my Grandfather...

Humour is a really good shout. When I was having anxiety attacks every time I got on public transport, I listened to comedy podcasts to take my mind off where I was. I found it better than music, because with music you get more lost in your thoughts, “Will this be the last song I ever listen to? Would they play this at my funeral? Would anybody think of me when they hear this song?” Etc etc. But listening to people speaking stops the mind wandering like that, and the humour obviously helps!

The idea of having a figure behind me sounds like a nice idea too. I might need to start visualising Albus Dumbledore or someone behind me!

I try to do stuff to get my mind off it. I am no longer on social media. My FB account was hacked and stolen from me, and frankly, it was the best thing that ever happened to me to do with social media. I really don't miss it. I don't own a TV, so yes, I am avoiding it, because my sanity is more important than knowing what is going on in the world. News these days is almost always BAD news. I can do without it and I survive rather well without it too. Folks do talk about it, and I get the basics by hearing them at work and at church. I don't need or want all the details.

Im notorious for avoiding and escaping. I just had a terrible fight with my husband, we are newlyweds and feel so hurt and upset. He was yelling and yelling is a trigger for me. Even hearing strangers yell in public at each other is a trigger for me. I feel like he just doesnt care about my feelings and when i tried to share he jsaid he disagreed (with the way i feel). To me, feelings arent right or wrong. But they still have value and still need to be acknowledged. And it was just too overwhelming for me emotionally. His yelling is a trigger for me. So i just shit myself up in our room and barrier myself in my dragon books. Fantasy books are my number one escape. I get so into them i worry that its almost a dissociation tactic. I get too overwhelmed to use humor when i hear the yelling.

Well reading as escape is by default dissociation tactic, as in a disconnect from what's going on...

Ain't mean it's a bad thing. :sneaky:

It just needs support, not substitute, problem solving.

And not saying that to judge... I survived a good few years on comics & flicks, and dragons are a varied bunch of badasses. Even if I'd rather leave them to a fire squad.

Im notorious for avoiding and escaping. I just had a terrible fight with my husband, we are newlyweds and feel so hurt and upset. He was yelling and yelling is a trigger for me. Even hearing strangers yell in public at each other is a trigger for me. I feel like he just doesnt care about my feelings and when i tried to share he jsaid he disagreed (with the way i feel). To me, feelings arent right or wrong. But they still have value and still need to be acknowledged. And it was just too overwhelming for me emotionally. His yelling is a trigger for me. So i just shit myself up in our room and barrier myself in my dragon books. Fantasy books are my number one escape. I get so into them i worry that its almost a dissociation tactic. I get too overwhelmed to use humor when i hear the yelling.
Yelling bothers me too. Tell him to knock it off and grow-up.

Thank you all for your support/replies. Its good to know im not alone in this. Btw does any one struggle with shaking? Sometimes i get shakey, in particular my hands. And its usually in times of emotional intensity but not neccessarily a flashback or PTSD attack...and if u do struggle with being shakey, what do y'all do abt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back