• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you ground yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a matter of being poor at it, it's just a matter of your PTSD being very strong. It takes a lot of practice. I keep practicing, and I am getting better, but I am having a lot of dissociation lately. I lived my whole life dissociated, and being able to be present for certain amounts of time is important to me. No matter how much or little. No judgement.

Couple of things to keep in mind are: that dissociation in its milder forms is normal (everyone switches off at times) and in its more severe forms, it's a coping mechanism. If you're finding that you're dissociating a lot, and it's causing problems, there may be stressors in your life that are causing it. Bringing down your baseline suds level, and working to remove stressors, may help a lot:)

I don't think it's a matter of being poor at it, it's just a matter of your PTSD being very strong. It takes a lot of practice.
Okay I didn't really get that it is a skill to practise. I kept thinking of it as a state of connectedness that you need to be.

I keep practicing, and I am getting better...
That is good to read.

I lived my whole life dissociated, and being able to be present for certain amounts of time is important to me.
I lived my whole life dissociated, and being present in my body right now, is my holy grail.

No matter how much or little. No judgement.
Okay that is a solid approach to take.

Touch seems to be the most easily effective for me. I love fans. I have one at home, and a lot of Walmarts have a fan aisle in the summer that I love standing in. I like showering, too.

Body position seems to make a difference for me. If I'm laying down, it is a lot more helpful if I'm on my side. If I'm sitting, it is better to have good posture. If I'm in a chair that is really squishy and comfortable it makes it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back