• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How to slow down an anxious, adrenaline junkie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Yoga 😁. Ah well.. afted the MRI, xrays, orthopedist, injections ect.. only the osteopath could help me.
Hope you feel better soon !!!!!

I feel like a bad person for shooting yoga down like that but my PT suggested it after the last one said absolutely not and his idea is that as long as I don't over-extend, I'll be fine. For me, that's like saying have two glasses of wine... What does that even mean -- don't over-extend?? We were stretching, weren't we? This is how I stretch. I have injured myself from yoga before. I know it's great for most people but I gotta get a whole lot more Zen before it will work for me, I think.
The nature Moor cusion XXL
I looked this up online. Can I just order one or is it something I should see in person? I have a couple of herniated disks, too.

Thanks!

Beginning is the challenge

Absolutely. I had this gym with a pool located a couple of months ago when it was just up the street from our apartment but..(insert lame excuse here)...
I can go after PT if I am going to be in town, anyway.

osteopath

That is also something to look in to. Thanks!

don't over-extend?? We were stretching, weren't we?
That’s contradicting, yes. What’s the good extension? If it shall be extension?! So I shall be my own expert ? urghh.., If you could find a osteopath/Therapist that creates a yoga/tai Chi/Qi Gong cocktail just designed for you?
Can I just order one or is it something I should see in person?
The moor cold pack is harmless but I wouldn’t do the heated version. I personally found it good to relax the sorrounding muscles.
Do get the Yoga distaste.. I’ve listend to Yoga, Pilates, Qi gong missionaries.. choosing the one that works is not easy and sometimes it’s just not your style. Have you done Ashtanga, Vinyasa or? I know Yoga was a No go for you.. so ignore my question if you want to. >>>>>> The Zenness? Pranayama first ? Yeah.. I’m being annyoing with Yoga

:-)

Please don't say yoga 🥺
I’m fairly certain we’ve talked about this before... but when other people write ‘yoga’? I’ve learned to pronounce it ‘ballet’ or ‘tai chi’.

As yoga is attempting to loosen tight joints, and create flexible strength. Hyper mobility needs the opposite. I’m too flexible, yoga makes me weak, (by dislocating my joints and tearing my soft tissues).

I need strength for the flexible, not flexibility for the strong.

I was just about to suggest ballet. I have gone up joints and hyper mobility, and I’m a swimmer. Yoga is bad news for me. I don’t even know what hyperextending is most of the time unless I’m getting that feedback. A beginning Russian ballet class (not barre classes) did that for me. Some of the slowest, safest, and yet wildly hardest workouts I’ve ever done. It allowed to to improve form.

At the end of the day though, we can pile on lots of alternatives, but your PT is right you’ll have to listen to the pain and slow it down in order to get to a better place. Pushing through pain with tendon issues and hypermobilty is a great way to rush totally losing ability over time. I use sports as a huge coping tool and this year has nearly ruined me with failed surgeries on torn up tendons. I kept pushing. Now I can’t walk crutch free and my leg is swollen like a ballon.

Gotta find other ways to shift the brain of GO. I picked up mindful cooking and knitting as I recover. It’s giving me the distraction for my brain sports did and helping the drive lessen.

I need strength for the flexible, not flexibility for the strong.

Yes, we have talked about the issues with doing yoga while already being excessively flexible. I was surprised my PT suggested it considering that I can get my form right while he's right there showing me how to do things. The last thing I need right now is to get nice and loose (unstable) and tear something else.

But strength?? WTF is going on here? I spent 6 months doing strengthening exercises constantly. The next PT tells me I wasn't getting stronger because I was trying to build muscle while in too much pain. Fast-forward 5 months and now my left leg is weak because my compressed nerve caused the muscle to atrophy??

I'm getting back on the horse to try again but I just don't understand what is happening. I may need to start doing some more research on my own, too, but I have so much going on with my hips, I am not sure I have the brain power to try and sort it out.

Gotta find other ways to shift the brain of GO.
Geez, I guess. But it is SO hard!
I am sorry you are going through all of that. That sounds awful.

I feel like if I could just reach a greater level of peace with myself, I wouldn't push so hard and might not end up paralyzed. There is a whole lot to consider and plenty to work on, for sure.

Last edited:
How about meditation? It sounds like your a busy person so it might help. I've done some meditation before and loved it. We used to do full body scans and it was great. 😊

But strength?? WTF is going on here? I spent 6 months doing strengthening exercises constantly. The next PT tells me I wasn't getting stronger because I was trying to build muscle while in too much pain. Fast-forward 5 months and now my left leg is weak because my compressed nerve caused the muscle to atrophy??

I'm getting back on the horse to try again but I just don't understand what is happening. I may need to start doing some more research on my own, too, but I have so much going on with my hips, I am not sure I have the brain power to try and sort it out.
Two possible causes for this:
1.) Overtraining will lead to reduced strength. Recovery is massively important.
2.) Pain inhibits muscles from firing. Muscles can not fire unless the nerves are happy enough to fire them. Nerves compressed and/or in far too much pain will lead to atrophy no matter the amount of strengthening. In fact, furthering the strengthening past a certain point could lead to further nerve issues which will lead to more muscle inhibition which will lead to more atrophy.

The above cycle is heightened for people with hypermobility. Inhibited muscles can pull things off of alignment faster which can compress/shut down nerves faster, which can.... you get the idea.

PTs love patients who enjoy strengthening. The last person who will ever tell a patient to back off usually is a PT. When a PT of all people says back off, it's a good warning to head.

Have you considered seeing a pain med doc? Not for pain meds per se, but for a path to relieve some of the pain to start then rebuilding strength in more productive way?

Pain inhibits muscles from firing. Muscles can not fire unless the nerves are happy enough to fire them. Nerves compressed and/or in far too much pain will lead to atrophy no matter the amount of strengthening.
Thank you! I am pretty sure my PT was trying to explain this to me on Thursday but I don't understand things until I read them, especially things said to me in a medical setting. I am getting now that PT 1 and PT 2 were on the same page. It was just PT 1, who happens to be the one who dragged me through nearly 6 months of nightmarish strengthening exercises on top of multiple injuries while insisting that I was not showing signs of having any nerve problems, who felt like I should keep trying to strengthen.

The above cycle is heightened for people with hypermobility. Inhibited muscles can pull things off of alignment faster which can compress/shut down nerves faster, which can.... you get the idea.

Didn't know. I have had little in the way of medical advice pertaining to my hypermobility. It's just been deal with an injury when it arises. I have some books I am looking at buying on Amazon since I have yet to have a doctor have much to say about it, other than keep those muscles strong. In fact, PT 1 basically called it a non-issue as far as my labral tears and recovery were concerned. But I was limping and everything got out of alignment in a hurry, causing tendinitis and some ligament issues, too, so that wasn't good information, either.

PTs love patients who enjoy strengthening. The last person who will ever tell a patient to back off usually is a PT. When a PT of all people says back off, it's a good warning to head.

He is only doing stretches with me now. This whole thing just re-blew up like a week and a half ago when we were doing nerve flossing. All of a sudden, I was very not OK.

Up to that point, I knew I wasn't fully recovered from my injuries but felt like I was recovering. I'd been plenty active with repairs on this trailer we just moved into and and really felt like I wasn't hurting myself. The flossing seemed to just bring that nerve issue right out onto front street where I could not think it was anything else and cannot ignore it.

Have you considered seeing a pain med doc? Not for pain meds per se, but for a path to relieve some of the pain to start then rebuilding strength in more productive way?

Right now, PT is working with me to get the pain down. He offered dry needling and electro-stimulation on Thursday but I declined because I knew I had places to go afterward and didn't know how I would feel afterwards. I plan to take him up on one or the other tomorrow. I am also working on a pain/pain reduction diary that seems to be helping me to isolate the hardest things I do in a day and what helps get my pain down afterward. He is encouraging me to carefully stretch but to be very mindful about any other exercise at the moment. I am hoping this will be adequate.

I really appreciate your input on all of this. I have a lot to learn about hypermobility and chronic pain. I kept thinking most of this was temporary issue but it's long-term already.

How about meditation? It sounds like your a busy person so it might help. I've done some meditation before and loved it. We used to do full body scans and it was great. 😊
I need to do more of that for sure. I think part of me still refuses to do anything my big sister suggests, meditation being one of those things and yoga being another -- though yoga has other points against it for me, too.

Meditation I really need to do. Thank you. I've gotten some great reminders and since I am working on this week's schedule today, I have a fair chance of actually blocking out time to do some of these things, instead of forgetting about them again.

That’s contradicting, yes. What’s the good extension? If it shall be extension?! So I shall be my own expert ? urghh.., If you could find a osteopath/Therapist that creates a yoga/tai Chi/Qi Gong cocktail just designed for you?

The moor cold pack is harmless but I wouldn’t do the heated version. I personally found it good to relax the sorrounding muscles.
Do get the Yoga distaste.. I’ve listend to Yoga, Pilates, Qi gong missionaries.. choosing the one that works is not easy and sometimes it’s just not your style. Have you done Ashtanga, Vinyasa or? I know Yoga was a No go for you.. so ignore my question if you want to. >>>>>> The Zenness? Pranayama first ? Yeah.. I’m being annyoing with Yoga

:-)

I think the yoga was Vinyasa.

I will take a closer look at those pads, thank you. I have so many pain reduction accessories anymore it is ridiculous but if they work, they work.

There's an assignment for my PT, actually. If he is going to suggest yoga and suggest I figure out how far to stretch, he shouldn't mind showing me precisely how far I should stretch. I don't want to experiment with that again. Thanks for the idea!

I need to do more of that for sure. I think part of me still refuses to do anything my big sister suggests, meditation being one of those things and yoga being another -- though yoga has other points against it for me, too.

Meditation I really need to do. Thank you. I've gotten some great reminders and since I am working on this week's schedule today, I have a fair chance of actually blocking out time to do some of these things, instead of forgetting about them again.
I don't know if there are meditation groups active due to corona virus but I bet there's stuff (online) and on you tube.

Oh good. I was feeling like I had been told to slowly stop breathing. I know that sounds dramatic but for realz, slow down??? Listen to your body?? That sounds like a whole lotta hell to me.
LMFAO... Ooooooh if it ain’t fun? I’m not doing it.

I ignore the ‘listen to your body’ business. Doing that is what got me in trouble to begin with. My BODY? Wants to go-go-go. Bigger, faster, stronger, better, NOW. And again! Again! Again, now!... Instead? I boss my body around. We? Are going to be stealthy, and sly. No more noticeable than smoke. It’s a different kind of competition to charge myself with. And it’s hard. Which makes it fun. (Or miserable, if I don’t engage my own competitive nature. Hence the challenge.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back