• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hypervigilance all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnieMae

Policy Enforcement
I will always have hypervigilance due to my circumstances. Nothing is getting better. I keep freaking out all the time. I can’t stop. I can’t believe all of this happened to me and my life is ruined. He told me not to eff with him. He stole my money and my life from me. Took it all away. Pulled a gun on me and when I called the police, he lied about it. Now I am crazy. I can’t stand the pressure and the stress in my body. It’s awful. The thought of having to tell any potential partner about it makes me vomit. Literally. I can’t get a new job, I can’t sleep at night. Any suggestions for the stress?

Hi AnnieMae,

First off - sending hugs - it sounds like you're going through a horrible time. Secondly - you're not crazy. You have been through a terrible trauma and this is just a reaction to it.

Have you sought professional help? A trained therapist might be able to work through your trauma with you and help you come to terms with it.

There are also some good apps available to help you through panic attacks and help you sleep. It might not work for you, but a guided meditation to help you focus on your breathing, or give you grounding exercises might help? I use an app called Clear Fear, but there are plenty of others out there. It won't help with the underlying issues, but it might help you at least deal with the immediate panic.

Sounds to me a combination of CBT and DBT may be really helpful to you.

CBT for all the very stressful circular thoughts you have about yourself and trauma.

DBT for regulating how extreme and pressing your emotions feel.

Both? Help with the underlying issues.

Have you tried talking to a doctor about a medication for these nightmares and more peaceful sleep?

It takes time for things to work properly and some times, stabilizing the more acute and disruptive symptoms with meds is needed, before anything else takes.

Type of therapies, @Nickle :)

Cognitive behavioral therapy essentially teaches you to change your acts by how you think of everything, hence feel based on the thoughts.

Dialectic behavioral therapy teaches to feel less in extremes, think in more shades of grey and balanced, less swing between black and white and act more appropriately.

Or: thought & responses, affect & responses, regulation.

Type of therapies, @Nickle :)

Cognitive behavioral therapy essentially teaches you to change your acts by how you think of everything, hence feel based on the thoughts.

Dialectic behavioral therapy teaches to feel less in extremes, think in more shades of grey and balanced, less swing between black and white and act more appropriately.

Or: thought & responses, affect & responses, regulation.
What can calm you down if you can't afford therapy?

I can offer that I can understand in part. For several of us, our PTSD will remain our lifetime companion. However, there are many members that have championed through hard work, support boards such as this lifesaver as well as repetition of our tools.

My initial jolt of hypervigilance, as well as other PTSD Symptoms can happen in a nanosecond: I have learned to live, work, love with this fact over the years. Yet it is within my duration, my frequency or the severity of those symptoms that makes a difference to my quality of life. This is what makes this board so invaluable to me- everyone is walking the walk. I have seen many move forward because we are so much more than our PTSD.

Fight the good fight. Take back your power and keep your support strong through dialogue with tool building. You will conquer in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back