• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I feel guilty for being upset that I have these diagnoses; when I know people have it worse. Anyone else have that feeling?

sunlight7

Confident
Some days I think what did I do to deserve the abuse I endured and having ADHD, dyslexia, PTSD, hypothyroidism and rosacea. The last three being diagnosed within a year of each other. I tell myself life could be worse and it can and then, like now I wanna throw myself a pity party. Some of y’all can relate I’m sure, I feel guilty for being upset That I have these diagnoses; when I know people have it worse. Anyone else have that feeling?

I got more trouble than you but you know what - no pity party here. Yes it can be a handful to live with all of it but I'm still here.

I lived with it and didn't know what it was for 45 years, now it has a name I realize that's all it is - a name. Learn to take care of it. Learn the do's and dont's and own it - don't let it own you.

I got more trouble than you but you know what - no pity party here. Yes it can be a handful to live with all of it but I'm still here.

I lived with it and didn't know what it was for 45 years, now it has a name I realize that's all it is - a name. Learn to take care of it. Learn the do's and dont's and own it - don't let it own you.
That’s a really good way to look at it. It’s just a name. I do my best to put the brakes on when I start to go down the pity party path because it doesn’t do any good and I am still here. 😊 I’m slowly, but surely learning the does and don’t of everything because I am tired of letting it own me.

I’ve never really been a fan of the Oppression Olympics. Shrug. There will always be someone worse off than me, and someone better off. Someone better equipped to handle exactly what’s up with me, and someone worse equipped to handle than I am.

I HAVE however, always been a fan of the Desiderata.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Which speaks, more than most things, about how common exactly what you’re feeling is.

i'm loving @Friday 's term, "Oppression Olympics. Shrug." while guilt is a huge and damaging symptom of my ptsd, i am all too often the one on the bottom of the oppression olympics hierarchy and silently slither back to my hole in the ground before the competitors can realize and publicize it is me they are glad they are not. comparing myself to others is a sure to leave me feeling unworthy to draw breath. put me out of my misery, please. they shoot horses for far less, don't they?

pain is pain, sunlight. it exists to let us know something is wrong. fix it. you can get fatal gangrene from a paper cut if you neglect it hard enough.

steadying support while you address your own pain, but please don't comfort yourself by sponsoring the oppression olympics on my head.

Follow this thinking on down…..

So only the ONE person on the planet who suffers more than everyone else deserves to be upset or actually struggle?

And everyone else doesn’t struggle as much so they should just be “fine”?

I know there’s a strong aversion to thinking in extremes, but honestly it helps me to personally put things in perspective. (Sometimes it makes me look like an ass, but more or less this is because you know, I believe that words have meaning, but I digress.)

Yes, someone will always be worse off than you and someone will always be better off. (Ok so this isn’t true for a whopping TWO people on the planet, but given population numbers, it’s pretty darn close to being a certainty.)

I often feel guilty. I feel like I’m causing others pain because I’m unable to be “me”.

Just remember you’re strong enough to have gotten this far, there’s a reason you have. And the guilt, as irrational as it is (my words about me, NOT disregarding your feelings), is exceeding difficult. I started to explain to folks that “this isn’t me” or “I don’t mean it to sound rude” or whatever, but have to still struggle with the guilt which has made me much less social. Working so very hard to remove that guilt stigma as not only so I feel guilty about having needs, but guilty (very irrational) about not he trauma I experienced and my lack of ability to prevent.

I sure hope you’ve gotten some coping mechanisms from here :)

Back