• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Need a Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK we can continue this for a while, but I would like to see others in this forum place the mirror in front of themselves. Who else wants to jump into this.

I must admit that I thought the term" get a Life" was always a form of an insult directed toward others. Never, ever thought it would apply to me! But exactly what does it mean anyway?

Can you answer that one Jack?

It's funny that this issue is a topic in the forums because I was just thinking about this issue today. Before my father passed he said two things: I have done everything I wanted to in life, and I have lived a good life. My interpretation is:

1) I have done everything I wanted to - I have travelled, experienced, felt, loved. Basically have done all the things for one's SELF that he needed.

2) I have lived a good life - I shared resources, goodwill and time to causes I believe in. In other words acts to OTHERS that would benefit them.

I think that life means both. I think that you have to be balanced in both one's self and giving to others to "live". I certainly haven't, and can't even get myself out of the house most of the time. I totally understand needing to get "a life".

Hey "Chez" I see you are new to our little corner of the world. So welcome and jump right in. We may all be a little "off" but we are friendly and willing to help.

Your interpretation of what a life is has really touch me. Much to my surprise, I think that I may actually have a life if I use your guide lines.

As for getting out of the house. How do you explain how it feels to other people. Been trying to explain this feeling to my mom for years and I know I'm not getting my point across. I find it very difficult to explain how all the "stuff" feels. Words just don't seem to get my point across. OOPS! Wondered off onto one of my own side issues. Sorry! I am easily side tracked.

Thanks for your input and interpertation of A LIFE! HERC

hey chez, thanks for your interpretation of life. #2 I do to much always taking care of everyone else. #1 don't really do at, and don't have any type of balance in my life. But I'm a work in the making so maybe some day I'll get there.

OK we can continue this for a while, but I would like to see others in this forum place the mirror in front of themselves. Who else wants to jump into this.

I must admit that I thought the term" get a Life" was always a form of an insult directed toward others. Never, ever thought it would apply to me! But exactly what does it mean anyway?

Can you answer that one Jack?
Nope. Only you can define it. What kind of life have you wanted? What kind of goals did you have, and do you have now? What was your dream of becoming?

Good morning Sir Jack I always wanted the kind of life every little girl dreamed of. A husband, kids and a nice home and happiness. Guess you could say the kind of life you saw on TV in the 50's and 60's. My mom says my childhood was full of stress, stress and more stress. She says I had a father who treated me like shit and was very cold and unloving me. Never found my happy ever after married life. never had a place to call my own and my kid will have nothing to do with me. My life was full of some really bad choices which have lead me to my current life

It was only late in life when the fog of drugs and drinking cleared that I found my true calling. Unfortunately due to my limited education and the amount of education needed to fulfill my dream, it ain't gonna happen! ! !

All that sounds a bit on the morose side but it is actually a real,true, exact and matter of fact description of my life. I have, however, been given a second chance so I can repair the damage I did to my relationship with my Mother. The most important part is I am now able to make up for the misery I put my mother through over the years. She is a good woman and deserves to be treated with respect which I am now doing.

I have moved mother in with me and I am taking care of her with all the love and respect she deserves. To my surprise I am actually enjoying our new found relationship. We seem to be growing closer with each passing day and our line of communication is better than ever. Each evening we sit down after dinner and TALK! We talk about anythng and everything. We both are enjoying the the path our lives have taken over the past few months. We actually have fun and laugh at the dumb things we do. I know my mother is enjoying watching me get old and forgetful. It just seems to be a perfect fit for both of us.

I always wondered what my purpose in life was. Why was I born. I felt many times that I was wasting my life, and I was--back when! I don't worry about any of this anymore because I now know! My mother deserves to be happy, safe and secure for the first time in her life and now she is! She is no longer alone and hell I AM NO LONGER ALONE EITHER!!!!!!!!!

So guess that is it in a nut shell Sir Jack(a nickname of respect) My wishes and dreams. IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep talking to me because you are causing me to think in areas I have not visited in a VERY LONG time and I like it. You are good therapy for me and I look forward to you input

The purpose of my life keeps changing as I go through my healing process.

Some people say they want a life like mine, but they don't really know me. These are happily married women who have children. What they don't know is I don't connect with people, I don't trust and I don't even know if I have ever loved. :dontknow: Who would want a life like that?

Life, as I see it, is looking up my PTSD buddies. Knee surgery took me away from all the things that kept me so busy. Time to think gave me new perspectives on my life. I learned there are people who do like me for me and were there for me. I live alone and taking care of myself was not possible at first. My friends have not allowed me to disconnect. Even though most don't know I have PTSD, they know I will disconnect and they didn't allow it to happen. This has helped me learn to trust a few of my friends.

I'm also learning what love is. Not a love between two people, just the feeling of loving life and loving myself.

Being able to love, trust and connect is what I want to do with my life at this time.

vst

Good morning Sir Jack I always wanted the kind of life every little girl dreamed of. A husband, kids and a nice home and happiness. Guess you could say the kind of life you saw on TV in the 50's and 60's.
But was it the real 50s & 60s, or just that of Hollywood?
What is it specifically about that time period, no matter if it's Hollywood or real life, that you wanted?
Sit down and mellow out. I like listening to some Jefferson Airplane, to mellow out. And the start writing. Write these answers out. You will surprise yourself.

My mom says my childhood was full of stress, stress and more stress. She says I had a father who treated me like shit and was very cold and unloving me. Never found my happy ever after married life.
I'm sorry to hear that. No one deserves to be abused.

never had a place to call my own and my kid will have nothing to do with me. My life was full of some really bad choices which have lead me to my current life
What do you mean a place to call your own?
Rent?
Own?
Your own private refuge?

It was only late in life when the fog of drugs and drinking cleared that I found my true calling. Unfortunately due to my limited education and the amount of education needed to fulfill my dream, it ain't gonna happen! ! !
Sorry to hear that it took drugs to find yourself. But I really do want you to tell me more about your dream and why it won't happen.

All that sounds a bit on the morose side but it is actually a real,true, exact and matter of fact description of my life. I have, however, been given a second chance so I can repair the damage I did to my relationship with my Mother. The most important part is I am now able to make up for the misery I put my mother through over the years. She is a good woman and deserves to be treated with respect which I am now doing.
Morose? Reality can be harsh, dear. I'm glad things are going well with your mother. Amazing what peace can bring, isn't it?

I always wondered what my purpose in life was. Why was I born. I felt many times that I was wasting my life, and I was--back when! I don't worry about any of this anymore because I now know! My mother deserves to be happy, safe and secure for the first time in her life and now she is! She is no longer alone and hell I AM NO LONGER ALONE EITHER!!!!!!!!!
Who needs a purpose? Honestly, until Hollywood started making movies, no one carried about a "purpose". You're born, you live, you die- such is life. Live it for yourself. Want a purpose? MAKE a purpose! Who says you can't? I have. My goal in life is to provide whatever services I can to the volunteer arena. I have done a lot and in the past two years my volunteer services meant a lot. The supervisor thanked me telling me I saved the USFS $32,000+ dollars in the first year alone. Had a professional been hired, they would have charged $65,000 and the quality of labor would be 1/2 at best. Now I have that office wanting to renew my contract, and two additional districts as well.

Keep talking to me because you are causing me to think in areas I have not visited in a VERY LONG time and I like it. You are good therapy for me and I look forward to you input

I'll keep talking, though my replies my not be right away.

Well Jack

You certainly have given me quite a lot to think about. Maybe to much. Especially after what has happened. Friday evening my daughter called me. I have not heard from her in 10-12 years. I didn't know if she was dead or alive. Out of the blue the phone rings and it is her. As with all kids, she is in tears, crying so hard I can barely understand her. I am not going to go into detail again cuz all this is posted in the general chat forum. but I just became a grandmother of a baby girl. A lot of info has been dumped on me in the last 24 hours and I am brain dead. I now know what shock feels like.

I will reply to you questions but it may take a while. I have a lot of adjusting to do.

IK'll keep you posted GRAMA HERC

Print it out then. But keep it so someday you can think about it if you feel the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back