• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Job interview(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...I got the job I interviewed for...did I say that already?!? WooHoo! I start on Monday and am a nervous wreck. It's weird; I'm not at all worried about the work or even about the people. I'm worried about getting there on time (it's a pretty good commute, and the facility is massive) and managing the depression on the days I'm there (oh well...and before I go, because I am NOT a morning person and I have to get up at some ridiculous hour). The anxiety has been pretty bad lately, too, so I am hoping I can manage that, as well. I'm trying to do a few things that are familiar and comfortable so that I don't feel completely alone while there. They are little things - like I have two cuffs I wear with my cats' names on them, I have a water bottle I'm taking, and I'll probably carry a stone or a mala.

Music I love on the way up in the car and a book in my bag for break.

Any other ideas?

Congratulations:) Wish it were a more relaxing process, but every now and then it's kinda nice to have the types of issues that ordinary people have, like a bit of anxiety before the first day on a new job. That's high five for Normality!!

Does checking your self talk/internal dialogue help at all? Like reminding yourself that you aren't expected to be perfect on Day 1?

Being a somewhat unavoidable stressor, would it help to organise yourself a relaxing but rewarding evening to look forward to for once you get through the first day? So that pent up hormone stress has a way to get out of your system?

Again, congratulations! Hope it goes awesomely:)

Congratulations:) Wish it were a more relaxing process, but every now and then it's kinda nice to have the types of issues that ordinary people have, like a bit of anxiety before the first day on a new job. That's high five for Normality!!
Oh, thanks. :-) I do keep reminding myself that it's normal to be nervous on the first day, and I actually think I am *less* anxious about the actual job than most would be. Which is really interesting to me. My anxiety seems to be coming from somewhere else.
Does checking your self talk/internal dialogue help at all? Like reminding yourself that you aren't expected to be perfect on Day 1?
I'm really aware of self-talk, and there isn't any that is negative around the job specifically. It's mostly "I don't want to go!" I'm trying to understand the source, because I don't think it's the normal "first day jitters."
Being a somewhat unavoidable stressor, would it help to organise yourself a relaxing but rewarding evening to look forward to
Thanks for this! It's funny; when I think "relaxing," all I can think of is what I normally do - hang out with the cats. I think that will be enough. I was thinking I was going to have to do some school work, but now I think I'll do some of that tonight (unfortunately, the actually lessons aren't unlocked until Sunday night, but I do have the reading assignments) so I don't have to do any tomorrow night. That way, I won't have to worry about getting something for class done the first day of work.

hang out with the cats. I think that will be enough.
When "chillin with my doggo" is my decompression plan after a specific stressful event? I'll often buy a new toy for the occasion (or plan somewhere to take him, which doesn't apply so easily with cats) ahead of time. That seems to helpful fortify it in my mind as something I'm looking forward to, because he always loves a new toy:)

Congrats on getting the job :)
As for little things you can take, it's so personal isn't it what suits one would be meaningless to another.

I guess have a think what you reach for often helps you out that you could take with you.

Am wondering if your resistance is to do with a very normal not wanting to go to work thing?

Good luck for Monday :)

Am wondering if your resistance is to do with a very normal not wanting to go to work thing?
Oh, that's definitely part of it. More complicated than just not wanting to go to work, though. Tied in with having to be away from my home (my safe place), leaving my cats, not being able to manage how I feel by going outside and spending time in the woods among the birds, etc... Lots of stuff. I'm also in a LOT of pain tonight. It's so hard to manage that when I'm not at home.

First day went really well. I got up ridiculously early, but got there in less time than I anticipated and I mostly trained all day (looks like that's how it will be for at least a couple of weeks). What I like best about this job is that there is no pressure to get things done within a short timeframe. Everyone is super laid back. First job I've ever had like that.

I had some breathing issues and chest pain again today, but it didn't last too long...

Courage to it all @whiteraven ! It seems you're doing well through the difficulties. Certainly relate with the added thing that when something survenes at work it's real difficult to manage. No place to recede and recharge. But also it brings something else from ourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back