DID Just life with DID

StillPen

MyPTSD Pro
Does anyone struggle with their family not believing nor knowing how to deal with your being DID?

Or, a better question...

Does anyone get the feeling that their family does not believe your diagnosis even though they've seen you switch?

I have two siblings who know my dx. If I bring up the word parts to them in conversation the air in the room goes thin...they clam up. Don't know how to feel about it.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I have two siblings who know my dx. If I bring up the word parts to them in conversation the air in the room goes thin...they clam up. Don't know how to feel about it.
I also have two siblings who know. We don't discuss it; it doesn't bother me. It bothers me more that people who are supposed to understand and help, don't. Like doctors, psychologists, and other health "professionals."

StillPen

MyPTSD Pro
Like doctors, psychologists, and other health "professionals."
My primary doctor, my psychiatrist, and my T all know my dx and they are helpful to a degree. I've learned a lot more about myself by being on this forum. I would love for a family member to want to understand it better, which would help them understand me better, but that has not been the case so far. It may be that they just can't relate...they've known me my whole life so they see what they see. I switched 3 times in front of spouse tonight and asked each time if he could tell the difference, 'no' he answered, so if he can't tell, how could they? I have to switch to a little before my husband can tell.

Wendell_R

MyPTSD Pro
Mrs. W knows about my dissociative disorder and believes it. She has experienced my switching. I have tried to explain it to a couple of friends I can trust, but haven't been able to explain it in a way that makes sense to them. That is frustrating and leaves me feeling lonely.