• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Keto Diet Effects On Mood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently my body sees that stuff as the same, or similar

Check out which ones can cause your insulin to spike and avoid. There are a few that do not so I get those.

I think a lot depends on how much of the sweetener you are using but if you can avoid them altogether it is a good idea.

Some will also cause digestion issues so between elevating insulin and intestinal disruption idk maybe that's enough to impact your mood?

I had a friend who loves this diet. But eventually she lost the ability to sleep. I tried it I never liked it. She eventually switched to something else.

I forgot to say I am gaining my energy back and feel like I can accomplish more. I know it's due to my blood sugars going down, but I'll give keto some credit too, lol.

I’m been using the Keto diet for more than three months now and have lost over 25 pounds. I’m only eating two meals per day (no processed nor canned foods, very little salt) with a minimum of carbs. In between meals it’s filtered tap water — sometimes with added apple cider vinegar or my most favorite drink (a few fresh lemon slices and spinach leaves pulverized in my Bullet blender with a bit of added Stevia. This drink actually looks quite pretty in a glass with its foamy mint green collar. And because of its thick foamy collar I drink it with a straw.

When I feel hungry which is very rarely now while in ketosis, I’ll eat celery or drink water. I’ve also been forcing down small raw garlic slices to help detox my system. Unfortunately, this raw garlic sometimes stings my tougue. So, I once pulverized this raw garlic in my blender and drank it straight down — but oh, my lord, never again! My stomach wasn’t ready for it — need I say more.

I’m trying to manage this keto diet along with a friendly CKD diet which isn’t easy. My eGRF is now 55. With no processed nor canned foods and very little carbohydrates, my electrolyte sodium levels were recently red flagged. Without the carbs I was dehytrating too much. I had to stop taking my daily deuteric medication for high blood-pressure because I was becoming too dehydrated with episodes of sudden weaken. I then learned that, I was having heart arrhythmia (slipped beats causing weakness) because my salt intake was too low. In regards to electrolytes, I learned that there is an ongoing interaction between sodium and potassium. And without this balance my cells were lacking the needed electrical energy.

As for my mood on keto, it’s great not feeling hungry anymore!! For me, hunger has always induces a feeling of extreme stress. After all, hunger is a survival signal that’s extremely difficult to ignore. The few times I haven’t felt hungry I was either too ill or too over-whelmed during some type of activity. I was also taking amphetamine during high school and then technical school which did cut my feelings of hunger yet, this drug was making me sick and unable to sleep.

Also, rarely can I fall asleep at night when I'm feeling hungry, as hunger has always stressed me out. Even when I’d eventually fall asleep, upon waking in the morning, I’d immediately feel ravenously hungry. But on keto, my sleep problems have greatly diminished.

Two months ago, I also completed my cataract surgery which, might be benefiting my brain’s sleep cycles, as well. I’ve read that this benefit might have something to do with the reactivation of blue light receptors within my nervous system which, had previously been blocked by my cloudy yellowish cataracts. I’ve also recently switched to using my blue-light filtering eye glasses every evening and this too might be helping to induce my evening sleepiness.

I haven’t tried fasting nor going off my keto diet for one or two days per week — I’m been fearful of doing this and do miss eating more veggie carbs, such as, winter squash and more carrots.

My cousins had invited me to their Thanksgiving dinner and when I told them, I was on my restricted keto diet and also not drinking (rarely do I drink anyway) they uninvited me. Same thing for the Christmas holidays. I really don’t mind skimping on their party food at all, yet, apparently they do mind or they fear I might feel uncomfortable watching them eat. For years they were chefs in their own restaurant and yet, their foods weren't keto friendly beyond a tossed salad or veggie dish.

My family, now mostly deceased, always served a buffet meal during holiday parties where everyone served themselves as they wished. No one paid much attention to what the others were eating. I drank tea while everyone else drank wine and it wasn’t a problem.

Has anyone with heavy dissociative and numbing symptoms tried keto? If so, did it help them?
I’ve been on Keto for 6 months now, yet this doesn’t seem to effect my dissociation. My sleep quality has noticeably improved however, perhaps because keto has greatly eased my relentless feelings of hunger. It’s not easy to fall asleep when hungry.

My first two weeks on keto were difficult while fighting my hunger pains. Eating only two meals per day with no solid food in between was new to me, as I’ve always been a grazer. I now eat two and one-half meals per day, as the two meals had made me feel too tired. I do miss eating carbs though, like bread, potatoes and pasta.

When first starting keto do watch your electrolytes. My sodium level dropped extremely low because I wasn’t consuming enough carbs which hydrate the body. Plus I was then taking diuretics. With my recent 50 pound weight loss I’ve been able to discontinue my BP meds. I’m now halfway to where I want to be.

During my dissociation any feeling of hunger is nonexistent - I won’t even be aware that I have a physical body during my dissociation. As for my mood and general anxiety, I haven’t noticed any change. I’m basically eating the same foods as before, only fewer carbs. My blood-sugar levels have been stable for decades. But wow, during my 20’s, I was extremely hypoglycemic and could actually feel my blood-sugar dropping when going 5 hours or more without food. I haven’t yet trying fasting for weight loss.

During my early 20’s, I first began craving sugary foods. I had just stopped taking amphetamine and begun taking Valium and an anti-depressant while then quickly gained about 40 pounds. I can recall my first hypoglycemic episode - neck-aches leading to headache, trembling, weakness, nausea, turning pale, brain fog, feeling that I wasn’t getting enough oxygen and sometimes vomiting. I can recall once being on the floor, rubbing my arms and legs just trying not to loss consciousness.

My hypoglycemic episodes only completely stopped at age 32. After discontinued the Elavil, if, Elavil was the cause. Yet, something was messed-up my metabolism from about age 20 to 32. My doctor told me this was mostly due to stress - perhaps. Then too, from age 24 to 28 I wasn’t on any medication and recall one severe hypoglycemic episode at age 27.

Whatever the cause, these unexpected hypoglycemic episodes were causing me to lose confidence in my ability to manage my life.

I’ve been on Keto for 6 months now, yet this doesn’t seem to effect my dissociation. My sleep quality has noticeably improved however, perhaps because keto has greatly eased my relentless feelings of hunger. It’s not easy to fall asleep when hungry.

My first two weeks on keto were difficult while fighting my hunger pains. Eating only two meals per day with no solid food in between was new to me, as I’ve always been a grazer. I now eat two and one-half meals per day, as the two meals had made me feel too tired. I do miss eating carbs though, like bread, potatoes and pasta.

When first starting keto do watch your electrolytes. My sodium level dropped extremely low because I wasn’t consuming enough carbs which hydrate the body. Plus I was then taking diuretics. With my recent 50 pound weight loss I’ve been able to discontinue my BP meds. I’m now halfway to where I want to be.

During my dissociation any feeling of hunger is nonexistent - I won’t even be aware that I have a physical body during my dissociation. As for my mood and general anxiety, I haven’t noticed any change. I’m basically eating the same foods as before, only fewer carbs. My blood-sugar levels have been stable for decades. But wow, during my 20’s, I was extremely hypoglycemic and could actually feel my blood-sugar dropping when going 5 hours or more without food. I haven’t yet trying fasting for weight loss.

During my early 20’s, I first began craving sugary foods. I had just stopped taking amphetamine and begun taking Valium and an anti-depressant while then quickly gained about 40 pounds. I can recall my first hypoglycemic episode - neck-aches leading to headache, trembling, weakness, nausea, turning pale, brain fog, feeling that I wasn’t getting enough oxygen and sometimes vomiting. I can recall once being on the floor, rubbing my arms and legs just trying not to loss consciousness.

My hypoglycemic episodes only completely stopped at age 32. After discontinued the Elavil, if, Elavil was the cause. Yet, something was messed-up my metabolism from about age 20 to 32. My doctor told me this was mostly due to stress - perhaps. Then too, from age 24 to 28 I wasn’t on any medication and recall one severe hypoglycemic episode at age 27.

Whatever the cause, these unexpected hypoglycemic episodes were causing me to lose confidence in my ability to manage my life.
I lost my ability to feel hunger (and later thirst) with my dissociation and numbing symptoms. Unfortunately, mine became pretty much constant within less than a year of them starting. That was in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back