• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Learning to listen to my cptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I’m Megan.
After a lifetime of feeding addictions I got sober last year from alcohol, pills, candy and sugar, social media and I’m learning to moderate my food intake.
While I had a traumatizing childhood having a parent with ptsd due to his own childhood trauma along with military service later in his life,
I have my own I am learning to listen to and not let it control my life anymore. I don’t like the way I treat my family or myself when my cptsd runs roughshod. While I don’t have classic flashbacks, my emotional flashbacks are crippling because I’ll get triggered and hours later I finally realize I’m not doing well.
While medication helps a great deal, I have never seen a ptsd group in real life and I hope to learn newer and healthier coping mechanisms (especially since the holidays are around the corner and family is a huge trigger for me!)
Thank you for being here! I hope I can benefit this group.
Megan

Hi @Meganhenslick , welcome to you! I relate to much (most) of your post, exxcept I do have FB's (rarely) too. May I ask what meds have been effective for you?

I really like your intro and think it's a great idea to anticipate and plan for the holidays in a positive but realistic way. I also think you are wise to have said "listen to (your) cptsd".

There is much support here and great feedback from many. Nice to have you here! 😊

Good job gaining sobriety! The hoiday season is also hard for me. My worst abuses happened at Christmas when we went to grandma's house. I can feel triggered anytime from mid- October thru mid- January. Hope we can both find comfort here.

hello megan. welcome to the healing network.

for what it's worth
i have participated in VA sponsored ptsd groups and hold that the 12 step groups ARE ptsd support groups by a different name. there are many levels on which i feel the less specialized support of the 12 step approach served my own ptsd management better than the specialized support. life, itself, seldom specializes. after all. alanon has been a literal lifesaver for me.

Hi Megan,

I'm a fellow newcomer, and as someone who got sober himself, I want to say nice job :)

This resonated with me: "While I don’t have classic flashbacks, my emotional flashbacks are crippling because I’ll get triggered and hours later I finally realize I’m not doing well."

That happens to me too. I hope you're gentle with yourself, and I'm glad you're here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back