• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Looking again at how much PTSD still effects my life and I don't really know what my next step is in recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayW

Confident
PTSD was at its worst over 10 years ago now. My symptoms are very reduced and I function well in some areas of life. But I remain avoidant of close relationships and struggle with relationships with people that have authority over me, such as bosses or lecturors. Im currently studying peychology and counselling and as a recommendation of the course, Im back in tberapy. This has highlighted how much I rely on avoiding trauma or triggers to keep well. Its making me look again at how much PTSD still effects my life and I dont reallt know what my next step is in recovery.

hello kay. welcome to the forum.

i started psychotherapy around a quarter century before ptsd theories were being published. it was a few more years before my bipolar dx was changed to ptsd. i still use quite allot of the tools i learned in bipolar therapy. if i had waited until i knew what the next step would be before i got to work on improving my mental health, i'd probably have suicided a long, long time ago. the important part is to keep stepping. joining this forum is a mighty fine step toward figuring out the next step.

welcome aboard.

Welcome to the community!

Im currently studying peychology and counselling and as a recommendation of the course, Im back in tberapy. This has highlighted how much I rely on avoiding trauma or triggers to keep well.
<rueful grin> I did the opposite… an entire BS (short a synthesis paper, I was multi-majoring and didn’t want to have to pay post-bacc prices), and I never once sat through even a single lecture on trauma &/or PTSD. Not once. Just bounced out of my chair and went off to do other things. Didn’t even realise it, until retrospect. I just common-sensed the answers on tests. Really infuriated me, once I decided to dig deep into this whole ptsd/trauma thing. So much wasted time! 🤣 Arrgh. Ah well. C’est la vie.

Welcome @KayW !

Yes I never could figure out why I worked out best with Veterans and related to their behaviours, seemed pretty 'normal' to me. (Doesn't everyone do perimeter checks while they brush their teeth? lol). Actually I think we got along because of what we didn't have to say, much was mutually genuinely understood without trying. KInd of a relief.

Hope you get much help and support here! ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back