Need advice serious depression

MemyselfandI

New Here
Hello everyone, I need advice I’m suffering from severe depression. I am looking for other coping skills besides walking exercise, cleaning the house reading and doing hobbies and also breathing I find when I’m walking my dog I start crying I find out when I’m cleaning the house I get angry I find myself trying to do hobbies like art, and I have no inspiration, and I just stare at the page, I find myself doing breathing techniques and it just doesn’t feel good. It feels like I’m forcing it it feels uncomfortable and I’m OK for a minute and then it starts back up again. I’ve tried church I don’t know what to do. There’s got to be other coping mechanisms besides all of the above and medication , I would really appreciate some advice on how to navigate my days. Better thank you.

I am not working, and all the coping skills that I read about and hear about our fleeting and feel like a pain in the ass to even do at this point I am literally pushing myself so hard for example, just a journal and it just doesn’t seem like that is a way to live life

Welcome, @MemyselfandI! I understand how hard it can be to manage day-to-day with depression--I've been dealing with depression for decades, and I have long periods when nothing seems to work.

You didn't mention if you were seeing a therapist--they often have techniques and skills they can teach you to help. Took me a very long time to find something that works for me, and I'm still struggling these days. But...I am able to work, and I am involved in a lot of things. I'm not happy, but I'm managing.

I journal, and I write, and I often am unable to find inspiration. Sometimes, I just scribble, or I just write down words that may not be connected. It seems stupid at the time, but it actually does help.

Hello everyone, I need advice I’m suffering from severe depression. I am looking for other coping skills besides walking exercise, cleaning the house reading and doing hobbies and also breathing I find when I’m walking my dog I start crying I find out when I’m cleaning the house I get angry I find myself trying to do hobbies like art, and I have no inspiration, and I just stare at the page, I find myself doing breathing techniques and it just doesn’t feel good. It feels like I’m forcing it it feels uncomfortable and I’m OK for a minute and then it starts back up again. I’ve tried church I don’t know what to do. There’s got to be other coping mechanisms besides all of the above and medication , I would really appreciate some advice on how to navigate my days. Better thank you.
I had a friend tell me once that I should just follow the words of the Prophet Nike. (Just do it) Doesn't have to feel good. Can make me cry, feel angry whatever. Just do it.

I’m fairly certain that rampant hedonism kept me from having to deal with / manage depression for the first 20+ years of my PTSD.

AS? I lived in instinct, for a lot of it.
AND? Had a hardline rule of having to do “something” fun, every day.

Depression? Only entered my life when I STOPPED acting out. And acting ON. And engaging in whatever bad behaviour I felt like, in the moment.

Having now, done both? I would faaaar rather have the ‘amends’ tour, than slogging through depression. As I lose more, and more permanently, when I’m depressed, than when I’m an asshole.

Not PC advice, but? Lived advice.

Back