• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Not for men only - a place to discuss men's trauma issues (comments welcomed from all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: completely untrue

You know just as well as I that's *not* how lay public and pros often interprete these stats, as existence of serial / multiple rapists.

Even the damn infographics with figures of non-vics in blue and vics in red or whatever present it as a way too common single-event crime.

So point stands.
It's not just skewed one side or phrasing...
But there are deeper issues with presentations altogether.

I hear you @Ronin. I get very worked up. Maybe I should presume incompetence instead of actual wish for harm when it comes to bad stats. Could be the PTSD. :wtf:

Sociology is a thorn is my side personally - it's certainly a discipline that on the whole believes and teaches to kids that there is no such thing as a male victim.

Here's what I wrote.
A wee follow up to this post.

The message that I wrote to the organiser, that I shared here, went unanswered. And the next iteration of the questionnaire featured the questions I found issue with in the same wording.
If not, I'll just try again
So, as promised, I wrote to the organiser again.
And then just a few weeks ago, I received a response, directly from the lead organiser.

Honestly, I was blown away at the consideration and empathy behind his response.
He shared with me some insight into how the questionnaire is developed, told me that they do hope the research they produce can be used to drive social change, and assured me that he will take my thoughts on board for the next questionnaire development meeting.

So while we're not there yet, I do see this as a little positive step, from one little corner of a corner of the world, towards addressing this very important global issue.

I'll let you know how the next questionnaire turns out.

I don't recall ever meeting a man irl that said he'd been the victim of trauma except combat vets and a man who was in a severe auto wreck. He has a lot of metal parts in his body, he said. It may be that I know others who have experienced sexual traumas, but for some reason I doubt that they would want to mention it to me. If I were in such shoes, I doubt I would care to mention it to hardly anyone.

It may be that what I have said here has been said already. I have not had time to read the whole thread.

Just watched Darrell hammond's Netflix and there is a scene between him and childhood friend talking about his abuse under his mother. It made me cry! Really moving docs.

How does trauma from a mother figure play out in men's heterosexual relationships? I have noticed certain commonalities in a small sample size. So I am curious.

Too complex a question. Is there any aspect of any relationship where it doesn't play out? I am that. A statistical probability. If your mother (birth?) did this or that to you, or with you, then x (behavior) is a potential outcome. That's how I remembered (which I didn't). Why am I like this? Solve for x.

Too complex a question. Is there any aspect of any relationship where it doesn't play out? I am that. A statistical probability. If your mother (birth?) did this or that to you, or with you, then x (behavior) is a potential outcome. That's how I remembered (which I didn't). Why am I like this? Solve for x.
I agree with @Mach123. How does any subset of people [x] react to action [y] from subset of people [z]? A commonality among people you've met really means nothing since your sample set is a) tiny and b) skewed.
Ahh fair! I just saw these people tended to very child-free, relationship struggles, had very strong opinions about gender roles but at the same time intellectually fairly egalitarian. It could have just been correlation and not causation. I found it interesting and was curious. ?

Nothing wrong with these attributes. It was just interesting to see how whenever I delved deeper, it often turned out these men had troubled and traumatic dynamics with their mother.

I would agree we get driven into things in an effort to fit somewhere. The disassociation is so dramatic. It reminds me right now of Neo and "the architect" . The most pertinent question, "Why am I here"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back