• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Our cats

The Cabinet Cat!!! We had one. I'm gonna say its sad but, we cleaned out one spot and put a blanket there for her after a while. I think because we had another cat she learned to be really quiet opening and closing the door so...problem solved.....sort of.

So, comes the day me and the missus want to go on vacation. My sister offered to cat sit for us at her place. We missed out on telling my sister about her cupboard fetish. Comes the middle of the night. My sister is awoken by the sounds of someone in the kitchen. Paniced she wakes her husband and sends him with a baseball bat to check it out. We had a good laugh when we got back and picker her up.

The most therapeutic cat too. She came to bed with me curled up with her back against my chest and purred so quiet you could barely hear her. Boom, out like a light. I found out years later she would only stay there for about 5 minutes. Man I miss her.

Essential oils are a great idea! And if she gets habituated to the lavender you can use a different smelling one.

Like the idea of giving her one cabinet with a bed and treats so that she gets a territory. Along those same lines, you could try putting a cat hideaway next to the cabinets and put catnip and treats in it every day and then slowly move it incrementally to another room where you want it.

E1D40D3B-D2B0-4704-8308-84ABA5C34C1C.jpeg
I love how wherever I go in my apartment she follows to keep tabs on me 🥰

D4A0817A-C8E5-4A8B-A94E-27B6C198C15D.jpeg

So healing, calming, and grounding. She gave me this love for over an hour. The feeling of a cat on a lap of a body that hurts is divine. I don’t think a person could pay for that kind of experience. Wait! Yes they can. At cat cafes. And a person can pay for transportation to a shelter and volunteer to give love to cats hoping to get some in return. To have it come to you in your own home in the time of need feels like an angel in physical form. Cat energy is so powerful. I am so grateful to the cat goddess.

So healing, calming, and grounding. She gave me this love for over an hour. The feeling of a cat on a lap of a body that hurts is divine. I don’t think a person could pay for that kind of experience. Wait! Yes they can. At cat cafes. And a person can pay for transportation to a shelter and volunteer to give love to cats hoping to get some in return. To have it come to you in your own home in the time of need feels like an angel in physical form. Cat energy is so powerful. I am so grateful to the cat goddess.
I posted something along the lines how cats are consistently under-appreciated as therapy animals some place in the forum quite a long while ago. Because every single thing you wrote is true (including the benefits of going to volunteer at a shelter which is sooo beneficial for both sides). The times my cat is just sleeping on my lap, with or without purring, are invaluable. Essentially, it's DPT, and that cat purrs are healing has been proven scientifically time and time again. I sleep better at night when I have a cat laying *on* me (instead of just somewhere with me in the bed).

Link Removed

(yes, I'm in love with that account and the art)

@siniang yes! 🙌 Glad to share that awareness with you! I adore dogs but it would not work out with my current lifestyle and I’m hypersensitive to the barking, it makes me jump. What I miss is being able to take an animal with me. I trained my cat to walk on a harness but she only does it when there are no other humans around and only around my apartment complex. It’s one thing to be harness-trained, a whole other thing to be desensitized to the outside world of people and dogs.

Essentially, it's DPT,
I’m not familiar with this acronym, curious what it means.

Great account!

@siniang yes! 🙌 Glad to share that awareness with you! I adore dogs but it would not work out with my current lifestyle and I’m hypersensitive to the barking, it makes me jump. What I miss is being able to take an animal with me. I trained my cat to walk on a harness but she only does it when there are no other humans around and only around my apartment complex. It’s one thing to be harness-trained, a whole other thing to be desensitized to the outside world of people and dogs.

I love both cats and dogs (granted, I love *all* animals with the exception of maybe spiders and arthropods 😅 ) and for me the two absolutely complement each other. Like you, I'm terribly missing being able to bring my animal with me and I've been very impatiently waiting to bring a dog back into my life. I have indoor-only cats and apart from some leashed balcony/yard time, they are just not made to encounter the outside world. Especially Skadi is just too easily scared, even freaked out. She's already kinda suspicious-hidey with every person that comes into our home and outside there's just too much unexpected things that can happen that will just scare her shitless. It's just too dangerous, even when harnessed. She's not cut out to be an adventure cat, never was (she was already on the cautious side when she was a wee tiny kitten)

Yet I would also for nothing in the world want to miss my cats, even when I have a dog again. They provide different things and differently. It's a little hard for me to put into actual words.

I’m not familiar with this acronym, curious what it means.

Deep Pressure Therapy, often also called Deep Pressure Stimulation. Basically a living weighted blanket. Helps calm down overactive systems due to anxiety, hyperactivity, ... etc.

Back