• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Own Arousal a trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
Anyone else find this?

I Think this is what I am experiencing.

Having looked back I notice that I have a pretty heavy emotional flashback if I feel ‘libidinous’ or aroused.

I have worked so hard to get to a place where I feel safe enough to feel arousal again but it’s still pretty linked to my cycle - days on which I feel arousal- and I think I made the connection that this then sets of the emotional flashback.

This would alSo tie in with my only ‘movie reel’ type flash back being during intimacy.

I’m particularly interested in how women might have experienced and tackled this because of the tie in with hormone cycle.

( Also relevant, I had a pms cry before ptsd and I think this is being incorporated- to the sad feeing and the arousal with the trigger?)

I have noticed this pattern 100% with my cycle. It follows to a point that I can tell you what days I’m going to have really bad trauma flashbacks and emotional problems. The anxiety ramp up can also be calmed by physical response to these memories, which then adds to the shame cycle.

Reactions: Mee
I don't necessarily have flashbacks when I feel aroused some times I do. But for me I feel extremely triggered if I orgasm. (Embarrassing to say but it's true)
I hate it so much. I'm sorry you go through this. Just thought I would say your not alone.

Reactions: Mee
I don't necessarily have flashbacks when I feel aroused some times I do. But for me I feel extremely triggered if I orgasm. (Embarrassing to say but it's true)
I hate it so much. I'm sorry you go through this. Just thought I would say your not alone.
Thank you for the solidarity. Yes - orgasm is elusive now but is also peculiar - a physical release with the associated endorphins and feel good - and also an emotional confusion overwhelm and not positive. I was always someone who could laugh and cry at orgasm ( legacy of non PTSD creating trauma maybe? Or just - emotional? ) but the result now is tears . dh and I have talked about it - it’s obviously hugely off putting for a loving consensual partner who is keen to strengthen my boundaries of what’s ok for me and what isn’t - but I am not ok with stopping if I orgasm - I think the pressure that places on me is too heavy And counter productive

it’s really really difficult and creates a lot of frustration and self shame and questioning about my trigger around ‘FRIES consent’ it’s hard to argue I am enthusiastic while crying and shaking and doing controlled breathing exercises :/ . Yet - I am determined towirk through this and it is consensual .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back