• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD and white noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

keystonegirl

New Here
A friend has recommended that I use white noise to help me sleep. I tend not to sleep very well when my boyfriend is away at work; the stress sometimes triggers an event. I've listened to snippets of white noise and I'm not too sure it would work. I don't want something that might make episodes worse. She swears by it; it seems to work very well for her. Sidenote: she also suffers from PTSD. I am ambivalent about its use; if it works then I'm all for it. But I also don't want something that could make my PTSD worse either. I was wondering if anyone has used this technique besides my friend. I believe in getting as many opinions as possible before I make a purchase. I appreciate any and all who respond to my query. 🔊

I can't sleep with complete quiet; it creates an enormous amount of anxiety and then I can'ta fall asleep.

I have a small sound machine that plays several different sounds--thunder is my favorite, and helps me fall asleep within a few minutes.

Many nights I use a music playlist curated specially for sleeping to fall asleep to. Listening to the police radio also often puts me out like a light as well for some reason. White noise just isn't noisy enough for me I guess.
I cannot handle loud noises...maybe classical music? I'm new here ...but not new to PTSD I know I have it ...need to be dx....nice to meet you. Violet Chic

I can't sleep with complete quiet; it creates an enormous amount of anxiety and then I can'ta fall asleep.

I have a small sound machine that plays several different sounds--thunder is my favorite, and helps me fall asleep within a few minutes.
When I hear loud noises ...my whole body jumps ...it's weird

When I hear loud noises ...my whole body jumps ...it's weird
I cannot sleep with any noise...need quite & dark room...it's horrible..I used to love music at night on low ...ocean waves seem to help some. Changing the subject...can we post a photo & how do I post a photo if we can. Thanx 🌹

A friend has recommended that I use white noise to help me sleep. I tend not to sleep very well when my boyfriend is away at work; the stress sometimes triggers an event. I've listened to snippets of white noise and I'm not too sure it would work. I don't want something that might make episodes worse. She swears by it; it seems to work very well for her. Sidenote: she also suffers from PTSD. I am ambivalent about its use; if it works then I'm all for it. But I also don't want something that could make my PTSD worse either. I was wondering if anyone has used this technique besides my friend. I believe in getting as many opinions as possible before I make a purchase. I appreciate any and all who respond to my query. 🔊
I can't use plain white noise, but some ASMR (there's a lot out there that could work for you) puts me to sleep. Sometimes I'll play calm soothing music that I know feels good to listen to, on a low volume. Always have a fan on too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back