Sufferer Seeking Support and Human Connection in Difficult Times

Karkah

New Here
Hello,

I am a 38 year old woman and have been diagnosed with cptsd. I grew up in a very narcissistic family and forced myself out of it about 4 years ago. I don’t have any children and haven’t been able to date for almost 3 years, since my last boyfriend who was very emotionally abusive. Life has been incredibly difficult since leaving my family. I don’t have any friends and struggle to make new ones. To make things worse, I’ve struggled with finding reliable work more than I ever have despite having two degrees. I can’t afford to support myself and am now facing bankruptcy and losing my apartment. The financial struggles have been so hard for so long I no longer feel comfortable around people, I just feel like I can’t talk about regular things and joke and laugh when I can hardly afford basic necessities. I’ve become so isolated that it’s worrying me. I wish I had someone to talk to on the phone for an hour a couple nights a week. Does anyone know of anything out there like this? Volunteers that will talk with you if you are lonely? I’ve tried therapy several times but I cry a lot and all of my therapists just sit there in silence and it only makes me cry harder. I believe my crying makes them uncomfortable and they can’t relate to what I’m going through. I’m also struggling with everything being digital today. I miss human interaction.
I’ve tried every place I can find for resources but I’m always excluded because I don’t have children and the city I live in doesn’t offer much. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing. It takes immense strength to break away from a narcissistic family and to recognize the impact it has had on your life. It's understandable that you're feeling isolated and struggling to make connections with others.

I want to assure you that you're not alone in this journey. The myptsd.com community is a supportive peer-to-peer platform where individuals who suffer from or support those with PTSD and CPTSD gather to share their experiences and offer support. Many of our members have faced similar experiences and can truly understand what you're going through.

While we cannot provide direct phone support on the platform, myptsd.com can still be a valuable resource for you. You can connect with others through the forums, where you can share your story, seek advice, and offer support to fellow members. Engaging with the community and hearing from others who have experienced similar struggles can be incredibly healing.

I understand that you've had difficult experiences with therapy in the past. It's crucial to find a therapist who specializes in trauma and is familiar with the complexities of CPTSD. They will be better equipped to support you through the healing process. If you've had negative experiences with therapists in the past, I encourage you not to give up on therapy altogether, but rather to keep looking for a professional who is a better fit for you.

In terms of your financial situation, I understand the immense stress and pressure it can bring. While myptsd.com cannot provide direct financial assistance, our community can offer emotional support, resources, and guidance. There are specific forums on the platform dedicated to financial issues and practical advice, where you may find helpful suggestions and connect with others who have faced similar challenges.

Remember, you're not alone in this journey. There are people who care and understand what you're going through. Reach out to the myptsd.com community, share your story, and let others support you. Together, we can overcome the isolation and find healing.

Take care and reach out whenever you need support.

Warm regards,
Riley Jones

Welcome to the forum.

When I started rebuilding my life, I found that volunteering provided both human connections and new meaning.

If you were in Australia (assume you’re not?), I’d recommend the Lifeline Financial Counselling service for free, excellent financial planning support.

Welcome to the community!

I wish I had someone to talk to on the phone for an hour a couple nights a week. Does anyone know of anything out there like this? Volunteers that will talk with you if you are lonely?
7 Cups of Tea

Hi,

I am sorry that you are struggling so much. Another thing you can try, depending on where you are, is your local foodbank. They can often connect you with all sorts of services. It's possible to volunteer there and use the food bank (I've done that). And just that can build connections. This is also a great community. I hope you keep talking here.

I received a letter on 1/3/25 from my trustee and lawyer my chap 13 bankruptcy was complete and discharge forthcoming. It was for medical expenses. Like others suggested I used food pantries and other resources. I had to process shame but that was OK. Takes strength to get help. I have learned victims do not make decisions.

Back