• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Should I ask my therapist to have my sessions target my goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you have your recovery plan mapped out pretty well and that's commendable. I would stress the importance of developing a Power Statement when dealing with any clinician and being able to advocate for ourselves. If your counselor or therapist thinks you are heading in the direction of your goals that's a good thing. We have to remember to give ourselves credit for small victories and being able to look back and being able to actually measure our progress is a good way to continue to motivate ourselves. If your counselor is unable to facilitate your goals in certain ways perhaps that's a sign to expand your support system. Looking into a Service Coordinator or a therapist that's trained in specific techniques like CBT or DBT can be a huge help too. If you're looking for a specific tool to map out and monitor your progress I'd recommend developing a Wellness Recovery Action Plan. They were developed by Mary Ellen Copeland and you should easily be able to find a WRAP workbook free online to work on either by yourself or with someone from your support system.

Whenever I mention wanting homework for my goals she usually tells me that what I'm doing already is working for me, but it doesn't help me feel like I'm working towards them. Don't get me wrong I know I'm impatient, and she's helped me reach some of my goals. I'm better at setting boundaries for myself and wanting respect from people. I still struggle with closer relationships. Though I'm working on feeling safe with people I know. There are others, I just can't think of them. However, with reaching either of these it felt like I got there by aimlessly going from talking about my week to getting into my core beliefs. Things don't feel concrete as if there's no direction my sessions go towards. I was wondering if I should want my sessions to focus more so on achieving my goals. Is there's a way I should ask her about this? How to ask her about this to be honest? Or maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture and being narrow-minded, forgetting the progress I've made. I don't know what to do in this aspect, and I don't want her to be upset for telling her how to do her job. The latter sounds childish but it's a genuine fear.
It's your journey, your $ you pay, and the more you are involved in identifying the speed at which you go, the topics you need to work on and the objectives for your goals, the smarter you are using your time with her.....and your time at home. Sounds like a really great idea, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back