• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Stupidest.trigger. ever. / what is your weirdest trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, came across one at work the other day that put me in a full panic attack. I work at a call center. The customer asked my shoe size, I answered like an idot, then he proceeded to say my name and say I have small feet over and over sounding like he was pleasuring himself. "Oh, [My name] you have such small feet. So small feet [my name]." Odd!

I actually talked about this in therapy today to learn better things to say and how to loop customers back into why they called, in general. It was that bad for me. Sadly, I have a sterotypical "erotic" name. Which makes it all so much worse! I want to use a fake name but we are not allowed to do that.

Who made the rule that you can't have a nickname? Pick a name you like, and tell people you have always preferred to be called by this name by your friends.....then just keep reminding them till they switch. As a teacher, I have to use my legal name on email, but I introduce and always use my nickname-and if I get a sticky note in a workshop with my legal name, I tell them I need another....that this is not my name. Now, you can always legally change your last name, but it takes a bit of money, and a court visit to do. I'm seriously not all about my last name...either......have seriously thought about changing it, too.

Not really. There's no way to really shorten it.

The calls are recorded and I think they can stand up in court so I think, for legal reasons, they want you to say your real name. Not sure about that but just guessing as to why you have to use your real name. The only reason I can think of is legal reasons.
What about your middle name? Can you use that?

What about pronouncing your name differently, or a different accent?

Because I'd argue they are discriminating on racial/ethnic and/or ableist grounds about speech, if they pulled You can't do that with your name on me.

I mean doesn't matter if not my 'natural' accent & I'm being deliberately obtuse... I want to see them make themselves the morons trying to prove I did it to spite them.

What about pronouncing your name differently, or a different accent?

Because I'd argue they are discriminating on racial/ethnic and/or ableist grounds about speech, if they pulled You can't do that with your name on me.

I mean doesn't matter if not my 'natural' accent & I'm being deliberately obtuse... I want to see them make themselves the morons trying to prove I did it to spite them.

That's an intresting idea. Would have to practice that. Though, many ask me to spell my name and so there, no accent will help but I can try to pronounce my name with some sort of accent!

Thanks! A great idea!

I just realized that anything from the old crocodile Hunter show will trigger me.

My stupidest trigger... the movie 'Shrek'. I stopped for a few moments to look at the Shrek's Adventure attraction as I was about to walk over Westminster Bridge, and I thought how weird/awful it looked. If I hadn't stopped for those few seconds, I would have been right in the way of the attack.

I feel like I should be grateful for the existence of Shrek because the creepy-looking attraction saved my life. But obviously it reminds me of that day, and it's on TV ALL. THE. TIME.

Crickets chirping at night. A soft rain shower on the windows after dark. Crunching of breakfast cereal.

Can't think of it right now, but an odd one was a particular wall color and pattern in a bathroom. It wasn't pattern per say, just the wall being a certain color, but the color also not even throughout, that effects that makes it look 'vintage'(but it's obvious it's not). The combination of the color with that effect specifically in a bathroom. And I used to love the color combo and the effect.
Later, 'after', I happened to stumble across the same combo in a bathroom in a club. Had to leave the club to go home immediately and went home walking forward like I was sleepwalking. If it wasn't for my (now ex) boyfriend we wouldn't have gotten home, not right away at least. He led the way, I was just present enough to say that I needed to go home and to keep my feet walking, but I was completely zoned out.

Weird triggers are fine, at least you can try to sort them out later.
What freaks me out more is the few random times when I get triggered and I can't figure out what got that strong of a reaction out of me.

Yep....that's why I don't read about stranger's trauma....it makes mine worse....consider disabling your news.....it's not like it's someone you know....but it does evoke some nasty feelings....and empathy for someone you don't know.....I gotta stay grounded and got enough of my own current drama-and past...I can't be looking for more...just puts me in a foul mood.

Weirdest trigger probably is apples in a fridge.
Which is proving quite a dilemma in this heat. But meh.

To the people that say "there's nothing worse that an apple that isn't crunchy!"
Yes. Yes there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back