Trauma therapy is.................. exhausting

Punky143

MyPTSD Pro
I have to vent to someone about it because we feel alone. Based on the last two weeks and how a part was finally able to speak out loud and formulate a sentence to tell our t something. I don't like using the word progress and I'll leave it at that. What I do want to say is how physically and mentally tired we've become. It feels like we could sleep for days, foggy headed, falling asleep at work, like someone basically beat us all over our body. And I'm confused how to deal with it. If we're supposed to take care of ourselves- self care etc, and we know what helps the best but we can't access those skills because: work full time (although some days just being there is enough) and then try and meet all the expectations at home. This has been where the road splits and frustration floods in and we retreat back inside. Because we know what works but it's not accessible and it gets so frustrating and very overwhelming that all we feel like is falling at everything. Viscous loop that at this time I can clearly explain it but maybe what I'm asking is: how do you feel after t therapy and what do you do to deal with everything after?

So heres the deal - you nailed it. Therapy that's working for you IS hard work. It makes you all those things - fuzzy headed, tired, and all the rest.

So start here. It was the first tool I was given here and one of the best.

And think that you have a toolbox that goes with your stress cup - all the things you can do to lower the level of the cup, are tools in that box.

You also need to learn to say "enough" to your T. Stop doing therapy for a couple weeks and learn coping strategies instead. When you do that you will learn to "do therapy" - "do something else" and when you are ready to do more work in therapy.

If all you do is therapy - therapy - therapy, you end up in what I call "the mail slot of tolerance" instead of the window of tolerance. All you do is bounce between barely functional and dissociation, when you could have a window that opens more and lets you have time to use your tools before you get really bad, and learn to manage things better and better.

You are the judge of when you can do more work in therapy and your T doesn't know when to let off - you do, so try working on your coping skills the next couple sessions before going back to doing therapy........

Trauma-Therapy hangover is BRUTAL. Mentally/Physically/Emptionally exhausted. ((When it’s done “right”. As opposed to the next level of too-far-too-fast suicidal/homicidal/psychosis.))

The recovery time shortens with practice/experience. I still booked at least 24hrs to manage the faceplant, when I was practiced, and a week if I was diving back into dark waters after time living life.

You also need to learn to say "enough" to your T. Stop doing therapy for a couple weeks and learn coping strategies instead. When you do that you will learn to "do therapy" - "do something else" and when you are ready to do more work in therapy.

If all you do is therapy - therapy - therapy, you end up in what I call "the mail slot of tolerance"
Spot on.

Back