• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Chicken breasts skinless boneless. I get a big package at BJ's for about 12 bucks. I put garlic in a pan and butter and some olive oil and dump them in more garlic and some garlic salt then mustard (a couple different kinds makes no difference) lemon juice and honey. Then cover it with tin foil. 1 hour at 350. Easy. Chicken for two or three days.

Southern Black Eyed Peas

I usually simmer these on the stove, or over the campfire, for a couple hours. Since it’s roughly a million degrees out right now, I’ve decided to see if the slow cooker will work. Not only doesn’t heat up the house much, but if I plug the sucker in outside, won’t heat it up at all. Worst case scenario it overcooks and we have soup, or undercooks & I can stick the pot over the fire tonight. Win/Win/(Win).

A pound of dried black eyed peas
A few stalks of chopped celery
A few cloves of minced garlic
1 large or 2 med chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
A few slices of chopped bacon or pepper bacon (v)
1 or 2 smoked pork shanks (v)
Chicken stock to cover (v) or water.
Bay leaf
Smoked Salt & Black or Tricolor Cracked Pepper
Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste

(Optional) = Finnes Herbes for garnish
(Optional) = Rice = Hoppin’ John >>> If you skip all the meats also = a complete protein.
(Optional) = skip anything marked with a (v) for vegetarian.

(Optional) = (v) a dash of liquid smoke & generous pinch of creole seasoning (or small pinch of cumin, but not both) helps deepen the flavor of vegetarian beans, but will usually be waaaaaaay too much if using smoked meats. If you wanna get really fancy veggie beans, fire roast some jalapeños & tomatoes & an extra Holy Trinity portion to create a Smokey Southern Salsa to serve over the top.

A ham shank needs to simmer a couple hours, so I don’t soak the black eyed peas overnight (unless I want soup, or am making vegetarian beans).

Simply rinse off the peas, sauté the Holy Trinity (celery, bell pepper, onion) translucent with bacon, throw everything in the pot, simmer a few hours, season to taste. Serve over, or stir in rice, if you so desire.

Gonna have Bucatini all’Amatriciana - had it a few times now an it's lovely

Serves 2
  • 115g of pancetta in little chunks (traditionally guanciale/pork jowl is used)
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped (not traditional?)
  • Small glass of wine (also not traditional?)
  • 400g San Marzano tinned or fresh skinned tomatoes crushed
  • 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 250g dried bucatini
  • 35g freshly grated pecorino
Preparation

1. Place the pancetta in a saucepan with the olive oil and fry over low heat for 15 minutes, until all the fat has been rendered out and the meat is very crisp. Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  2. Add the onion to the pan and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook 5 minutes further
  3. Blanch n skin the tomatoes, finely chop them and add to the onion in the pan. Season with red-pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil and add salt to taste. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 9 to 12 minutes, depending on the brand.
  5. Add the pasta and some of the cooking water to the cooked sauce with the reserved meat and 25g of the cheese and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Serve immediately topped with the remaining cheese.

Last edited:
Seafood zucetti
Marinara mix, consisting of squid rings, salmon pieces, white fish pieces, oysters, parsley cooked in olive oil
Add green beans, broken up, grate some lemon zest in, cook lightly. Squeeze some lemon juice in, season with salt and pepper and throw in some torn.basil leaves, when cooked.
Cook some spiralized zuchini, about 2 minutes in microwave or in a pan with water.
Toast some pine nuts in a pan
Put the seafood mix on top of the zucetti and add pine nuts.
Parmesan is good too.

Ingredients:
  • One (1) can of Spaghettios
  • Some kind of microwave safe bowl
  • One (1) microwave oven
Directions:
Open the can of Spaghettios as directed on the can (be careful as the can edges can be sharp). Dump the contents of the can into the bowl. Place the bowl into the microwave oven; set oven to "On" for 2-4 minutes or until contents of the bowl splatter all over the inside of the oven. Remove the bowl from the oven (be careful as the bowl may be hot). Serve with a spoon.

Recommended wine pairing: Grape soda

Tonight we are having a steak pie - from the Co-operative! I love cooking but tonight I am having time off.
We will have it with baked potatoes (Bung in the oven on low and forget them for a few hours) and some corn on the cob. I will serve it with some instant gravy and perhaps a few frozen peas too.

Turkish Rice:- Great side dish but good on it's own too.

1 stock cube (any variety you prefer) melted into 500 mls of boiling water
2 Tblspn Orzo
1 cup long grain rice
1 Tblspn butter or alternatively Olive Oil.

Melt butter in large pan,
Put in Orzo
Stir for 3-4 mins till it starts to turn slightly darker or gold,
Add rice,
Stir till thoroughly heated through Keep stirring!
Add Stock (avoid steam burn) Keep stirring,
Bring to full boil - Keep stirring
Turn down to simmer & set lid so there is a small steam gap,
Simmer for about 6 - 9 mins, Stir occasionally,
Turn off heat. Put lid on properly & let sit for 5 mins.

Eat on own or with anything you like... :)

Back