• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What do you do when your brain feels overloaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constantly. Multiple times a day my brain overloads.

Ptsd for the most part. Sometimes when I'm hyper vigilant and didn't notice I am. Brains wants to super focus on one thing and if I haven't notice and there are a lot of other inputs trying to get it it pops. My brain I mean. Just stops working.

Other times and now since i'm very rarely in hyper vigilant needed situations- if I'm trying to think about something but keep going in circles my brain will also end up short circuiting. I think this one is more ADHD but usually its PTSD garbage i'm circling on without a solution.

And kids. Especially if I'm stuck in my own head- their noise, their need, their relentless attention seeking behaviours.
Can not handle.

What's helped? For all of the above short circuiting. A break. Remove myself from situation if possible. Focus on breathing. Pause one thing to stay present with another instead - shift focus.
Quiet time.
I'll ask my kids to slow down and then really use my skills to listen, reflect back to them what they're saying to slow them down more and make sure I'm present.

Colouring I find, doesnt use much brain capacity to further the overload but requires enough brain attention to stop the overload- if that makes sense.

I hope some or any of that is helpful.

I find myself wanting to just cover my ears and sit on the floor to escape.

oh- which reminds me. I cant do this often because i need to hear whats going on around me most of the time (even though its overwhelming) but- headphones. Music. tune out the background if you can with music you consider calming/soothing.

ETA: yeah, takes awhile to get back to normal from. Sometimes faster than other time but its a good chunk of time.

oh- eh, sometimes a conversation with someone you like, who also understands the possible random crap a chaotic brain might say. i find msging helps best because its not such in your face input. but that can speed up getting back to normal brain functioning.
I live in Canada and fortunately we have legal weed here. It numbs the memories, quells the flasbacks, improves sleep like no other pharma's I've been on. I don't condone self medicating, but sometimes it's a last resort for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back