• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What helps you sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just started taking Melatonin too, suggested by my T. It is really good. Only problem is it is not sold commercially here, so have to order it in internationally.
Keep an eye out for rising anxiety and general crankiness/assholery. Similar to how steroids effect some people’s moods reeeeally badly, melatonin has a similar effect on a minority of people. My son looooooves it, but I become the BitchQueen on it. Luckily it also f*cks up what little sleep I do get, so it’s not a hard decision to not take it. No benefit + f*cked Up Side Effects = Easy Choice.

@SeedMan is doing some of what I do. I started taking Melatonin and 5htp, too. Prior to these, I could only get 4 hrs of sleep in each night. I would sleep for two hours and wake up and then wait to get tired again. Sleeping was constantly disrupted and bad dreams and nightmares were more frequent. Surprise! Surprise! Add in a weighted blanket, Melatonin and 5HTP, and I sleep deeper and longer. I’ve only been doing this for two months and it still feels weird to wake realizing that I got 6-7 hrs of sleep! I like it😁.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep an eye out for rising anxiety and general crankiness/assholery. Similar to how steroids effect some people’s moods reeeeally badly, melatonin has a similar effect on a minority of people. My son looooooves it, but I become the BitchQueen on it. Luckily it also f*cks up what little sleep I do get, so it’s not a hard decision to not take it. No benefit + f*cked Up Side Effects = Easy Choice.
I think some people can have pretty bad side effects/reactions. My grandmother in-law took it as recommended by the doctor as she sleeps poorly because of old age, and it actually kept her awake. She said she was up all night cleaning, felt completely hyperactive!
So far, it seems to be okay for me but I don't like to take anything too often, just in case. I find it makes me a bit hungover/drowsy feeling the next morning anyway, so I only take it when I don't have work/responsibilities the next day.
Having said that, I am able to take it more frequently than my other prescribed medication for sleep, which almost works too well and knocks me out completely. I can lots of sleep, but the whole next day is generally a complete write-off because I am just so drowsy.

Sex and binaural beats helps me relax and I use zopiclone and still get 4hrs of sleep on it unless I take two pills then 6hrs... woohoo.

Just wondering what people have found works to help them sleep when going through a triggered time?

My sleep is better than it was a couple of weeks ago. At the moment I'm usually going to sleep okay now, but waking most mornings by 4:00-4:30am. I mean, I'm getting heaps of work done in a day, but just wondering if anybody has got any tips I might try? I generally do soft-belly breathing etc to get to sleep, but find that doesn't help when I wake in the early hours. I do have some medication that helps with sleep, but all these medications tend to knock me out for way too long no matter what I take (I don't have much of a tolerance for any drugs, really).
Music mostly. Calming music, Audio books, just anything with noise. I can't sleep in silence it drives me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back