• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is the purpose of your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My purpose of life is to be as humanly as possible an adding force to humanity and minimize my taking of more than I can chew! This has been my drive in life. To be free but yet relate to others in positive manner.

I seem to be excessively given to existential depression... but I’ve learned to embrace a one part hedonism one part Buddhism kind of framework to stave off my characteristic nihilism.

I think the purpose of all life is to experience the ego, suffering, ecstasy, and Everything Else that is subjective and finite.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There’s no such thing as death; life is only a dream, and we’re just an imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather...”
-Bill Hicks

I suspect that the purpose of my life is to serve as an example - right, wrong, or indifferent.

But mission or self-created purpose? To reduce shame and fear in recovery from trauma and all of its bastard children (such as addiction and anxiety).

To raise healthy, happy, well adjusted children and even though they are adults, I am still an role model, a source for advice and "mommy" when they need that. A life partner for my husband in both personal and business. A friend that you can trust and have a blast with. An employer that provides a healthy, safe, stable and balanced workplace. Crazy dog and horse mom. Someone who just wants to make the world a little better each day and live life to its fullest.

Asking myself the question, what is the purpose of my life?
Hope you find the answers @Justmehere

How would you answer?
Today, now.. finding it hard to zoom from microlevel to macrolevel.. somewhere in the deep MY llizard brain wants to say (To myself) it’s biology, reproduction nothing more left and nature doesn’t give a sh** about your interpretations but the fact that I belong to a species that is able to reflect on these themes is also fun and tragic at the same time. For now I’m glad that my brain regions are functioning, I’m mobile and Independent mostly. So what’s the purpose for me? I want to say, I’m taking things as they come for now. Purpose is too grandiose for me, but I admire those who see a purpose for themselves and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think my life has overarching purpose, My ambitions had to go unfulfilled. I have some other, great things .

I have the vague but long held belief I want to not do more harm than I do good- a sort of carbon neutral or offset approach to life? I think it’s more difficult to achieve than it appears at first.

I think having more definite sense of purpose must be helpful .

go to the root. Fight flight or freeze level. next level after that.
To survive, reproduce, and support the next generations.
Too pragmatic? what is there in life that doesn't need the foundation of survival? Isn't it true that everything we do is done for a reason, and more often than not our reason is to gain social status or to attract people we want to know better? Admittedly, many people are attracted to relationships that can not result in reproduction, but speaking for myself and the group I know personally, a great percentage of us want to see the next generation treated well and brought to successful and happy adulthood even if we weren't responsible for any conception.

The rest is just cold beer and a good seat at a baseball game. Having the hair on your arms go all goosebumps when the right series of notes and rhythm combine to create a sound we really really like. That new car smell, a well written play, warm sun that makes your eyelids pink when you close them. Having good stuff happen.

To be a good father and role model for my daughter and my niece. To be a source of love and light for others who are survivors of CA, especially, SCA (Yes, I say it backward from a lot of people, but I do it on purpose).

To be a true humanitarian, and to be the best free-spirited, peace-loving hippie I can be. To love and better myself (Self-actualization) and grow closer to my creator in heart and soul. (A knight is sworn to valor)!!! 😁

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back