• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What was the most interesting item(s) in your newsfeeds today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this very interesting, and timely, especially since I've experienced therapeutic benefits from various forms of sound healing through the years. Be it nature sounds, music choices, Tibetan singing bowls, gongs, wind chimes, tuning forks, chanting, etc.

We are vibrational beings surrounded by constant vibrations. I learned that being mindful of my consumption habits also includes what I allow my ears to consume. I can "feel" when I'm in a space that's negatively affecting me.

I can no longer physically handle much of the music and activities that I used to be sure was soothing me. But then again, I was trying to escape many things back in those days, including myself. Shift happens, for sure. What a difference a sound can make...

World Sound Healing Organization: What is Sound Healing

"Sound Healing is the intentional use of sound to create an environment which becomes a catalyst for healing in the physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual aspects of our being."

I found this very interesting, and timely, especially since I've experienced therapeutic benefits from various forms of sound healing through the years. Be it nature sounds, music choices, Tibetan singing bowls, gongs, wind chimes, tuning forks, chanting, etc.

We are vibrational beings surrounded by constant vibrations. I learned that being mindful of my consumption habits also includes what I allow my ears to consume. I can "feel" when I'm in a space that's negatively affecting me.

I can no longer physically handle much of the music and activities that I used to be sure was soothing me. But then again, I was trying to escape many things back in those days, including myself. Shift happens, for sure. What a difference a sound can make...

World Sound Healing Organization: What is Sound Healing

"Sound Healing is the intentional use of sound to create an environment which becomes a catalyst for healing in the physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual aspects of our being."

I love chanting. Pre trauma I was in a yoga chanting group. I struggled afterwards, then our leader had a stroke and no one wants to continue while he is in his situation :(. I miss it very much. It wasn’t just the sound for me, it was a very safe space. We often had silly things happen that we laughed at, and it was intensely ‘dear’. Kind, warm, welcoming . An atmosphere that is rare and precious. I have considered training to be a chant leader

Sounds like an exciting idea to me, @Mee . I still try to practice it often, with my favorites being brain humming (I learned that from Jim Donovan - he was the first person to introduce me to breath work/chanting/drumming/shamanic practices/etc. several years ago), om, ra-ma-da-sa-sa-say-so-hung, and/or om-mani-padme-hum.

I used to seek out drum circles and other similar meditative gatherings until several body issues, including the heart, made me hesitant to do so anymore, unless it's an outdoor venue. I miss them big time, too. As you mentioned, they felt kind, war, and incredibly welcoming. Unfortunately, smells/fragrances can make me incredibly ill...so many folks like to marinate in oils/scented laundry detergents/other various "hygiene" products that I can't hang with, or they use diffusers/air fresheners/candles and such.

Last incident was an episode of a-fib just 2 weeks ago at a sound healing session including singing bowls, gongs, chimes, and such. I had actually been feeling pretty damn good for a stretch of time until that happened. Been to many similar sessions facilitated by the same individual before and felt so good and so grounded after, and felt as if they were safe spaces for sure, but not this time. Dammit.

Meanwhile, I just hang out at home and out in nature with myself and practice whatever feels right in the moment, be it breath work, singing bowl, chanting, leaking and squeaking on my Native American flute, playing with my percussion toys, or just humming or singing at the top of my lungs. I don't often think highly enough of myself to engage as of late. Grateful for the gentle nudges that point me back in those directions.

A pdf booklet found its way to me the other day and I enjoyed the reminder of how all of these practices, along with a few others, greatly benefit the vagus nerve...but I don't think I can post it. I found it via the following website....the booklet is titled The Vagus Nerve - It's Many Roles and Functions - Activating It - The Autonomic Nervous System_Booklet.pdf...I was able to type that in my search bar and it came right up....looking via the website was a pain as there's no search bar, but there were other valuable resources listed, too....

Home: Mindfulness-based Individual Therapy | Stress Reduction Classes | Individual Therapy for Adults | Somatic Psychotherapy | Contemplative Practices | Palo Alto | CA | California | 94301

Opinion: Kobe Bryant has died. It's OK to talk about his rape case

I needed this today. The slurs that his victim has received in social media are sickening. His quote I have read about it seems .... pretty good- he had come to realise she did not see it as consensual. That’s pretty much acceptance and understanding and I think his settlement reflected that. I can accept that a statement like that comes with regret . But it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Or wasn’t potentially a deception that took consent for his wife ( though I don’t profess to know that). Duality in people is very real. People we admire hurt people. Writing off his action about this seems also sort of .... disrespectful of any personal growth he may have had in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back