• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

10 primary cognitive distortions (negative thinking styles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
but am intrigued about the suggestion of the article's suggestion about this being a partial list
The full list of cognitive distortions is around a couple hundred, give or take, however, they nearly all fall within one of the above top level categorisations, hence why people skip the nonsense and just show the major categorisation instead. No point listing 200 things that fit within about 15 topics.

That list might be helpful for people who know that their thinking if faulty but are, not as yet, able to break their thinking in to the top ten or top fifteen categories. Where would that list be available @anthony?

It isn't helpful at all @Ms Spock, far from it. All that happens is you have no idea what you're doing with distortions, and making yourself believe you are, by trying to isolate a specific from some list, instead of actually looking inwards, identifying the negative, understanding distortions and then fit it into one in order to understand the problem.

You can chase such a list in some books, though they often cite differences, based on ones I've read. No, I am not telling you which books.

If you want to work on distortions, stick with the experts and use what is used here, which is the primary categorisation by most experts.

This is one of the biggest issues... there is such a thing as too much information. You have to do some work to solve distortions, that is the idea of the process.

Okay thanks for the heads up on that @anthony.

I certainly have a tendency to over think things and get lost in the detail.

I will stick with the basics.

With time I will trust that I will get better at it.

Indeed just a short time ago I realized I was doing magnification, personalization and all or nothing thinking. I decided on a course of action when I reflected on that.

So I can see your point.

Thanks for this. It made me quite emotional to recognise some of these characteristics in myself. Especially emotional reasoning and labelling. For example I did something weird which caused a major disruption to my life. Five years later I still allow this one act to completely define me, ignoring all other potentially positive traits. I wonder if it might help me with work on my sense of self too? Thanks @anthony .

Cognitive distortion forms the backbone of PTSD. Whether you know it or not, all moods and behavioral pat...
Hi there, what's the difference between "minimizing" and "disqualify the positive"?

So can you identify a way in which you underplay or play down a situation or thing in your life @Hashem?

So minimising might be about something bad - a woman might say a man who is hitting her isn't hurting her that much. You might also minimise and say a good quality of yourself isn't really that good, but disqualifying the positive goes a step further (in my mind anyway).

Disqualifying the positive can be you seeing that you did a good thing, or have a good quality, but you don't let that effect your overall negative view of yourself. You have good qualities but you dismiss those qualities to hold on to the negative views of yourself that your Mother and Father forced upon you whilst they were abusing you. You feel worthless, hopeless, useless and helpless despite holding a high position in the corporate world. You disqualify the positive in yourself and focus on the negatives.

Last edited:
THIS was an amazing article. Seeing so many habits/ thought processes I myself do. THANK YOU for posting this. Will reference back to this whenever I have an issue with my negative thought patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back