• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A horrible night of sleepless horror. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumanNOS

Learning
I just really started therapeutically working on my PTSD. So I'm still learning. I've dealt with anxiety and OCD. But this is turning out to be a different ball of wax.

I've always had issues sleeping -- insomnia and such. I haven't been sleeping well over the last couple of weeks and I've done more therapy and read more information about PTSD. But last night was like something I haven't dealt with before. I tossed and turned all night (not unusual), between sleep and awake (not unusual), but when I was cognizant of my awake time it was terror. I felt rolling moments of terror all through the night and I am just like ---WHY?

It was awful. I never could identify the source, what I was thinking or a trigger, but the feelings were overwhelming just the same.

I'm very tired this morning, but I don't want it to ruin my day. It also still hard to shake those scary feelings.

Would really appreciate any thoughts. Thank you for letting me share.

This is a good topic for your T. I allude therapy to a Pandora’s box. There’s so much that gets locked up in our heads, predominantly overwhelming emotions. Once you get into good therapy, that box slowly opens and leaking things out little by little so that you can process those things and work on them.

Therapy is crucial. I agree. I have been with good therapists and psychs for a long time now. I am not able to talk to her until Wed.

Prazosin. My guy's nightmares/terrors are relentless. He takes Prazosin every night and is able to get some sleep. It doesn't stop his nightmares but he doesn't remember them and is (9 out of 10 times) able to wake in a calm way. He even has "normal" dreams now.

All the therapy in the world won't stop his nightmares. And usually makes them worse.

He didn't want to have to take another med but he wasn't getting any restful sleep. It has been a great help.

I hope you are able to come up with a solution!

I take medicine, but not specifically for sleep. I don’t like feeling I don’t have control over myself. So sleeping pills are off the table. I have tried. I use melatonin

I have other meds for my OCD/anxiety. But therapist just brought up Prazozin @LuckiLee. I don’t know a lot about it. I do feel like medicines will change because my docs know more now.

The last thing my guy wanted was another medication but he wasn't getting any sleep. He eventually tried it and it has helped immensely.

Search the forums here. I know there is a few threads pertaining to this medicine.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will. I’m still having trouble just processing everything. My docs finally realizing I had PTSD was amazing for them but I’m still having a hard time with it. I know people who were treated much worse than I was ??‍♀️. And I’m from a military family. So, it may sound silly, but I feel weird about taking a combat drug. While I haven’t shared much of my story, I am not a vet, but I am being treated like one would be. It’s just hard to process every time a puzzle piece falls into place...and right now that’s happening A LOT!

It isn't a drug for Veterans. It was initially for blood pressure.

We don't compare trauma here. We are all here for different reasons but we all have ptsd in common.

Glad you found us. This is an incredible place to share and learn.

It isn't a drug for Veterans. It was initially for blood pressure.

We don't compare trauma here. We are all here for different reasons but we all have ptsd in common.

Glad you found us. This is an incredible place to share and learn.

I meant no offense. Actually, that is something my therapist is trying to get me to understand. I didn’t have to fight in a war to have PTSD. It’s hard for me because those are the people in my family, who I know have this.

It’s been really hard y’all. I appreciate so much the community I found here.

No offense taken!! ?

There are other ways to help with sleep. Exercise. Eating well. Talk therapy. Writing. Sleep hygiene... We tried most of them without much help so he decided to give it a try. He sticks to a sleep routine and his sleep has improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back