• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Atheist unite!!

"What a crazy time we live in. So many people think that science is fake, that YouTube is a better news source than Reuters, and that Nazis are the good guys."
Well, I am in Spain, part of Europe where the fascism is still well remembered, not so many "this is my opinion, the covid doesn't exist" , so there is still hope.

(And I don't understand the other comments cause my English it is not so good)

around, and still all alone on this cosmic iceberg, drifting along with no rudder and no star to navigate by..............naaah, this is fu*king great and I would sure like to talk about it but if you dare to speak pro atheist you are then marked as anti religious and I already have too many targets on my back. Lets just say- I am fine.

I must be naif in a silly way. Still amaze me every day how many people believe in God and their explanations why they do. My mind goes like, oh well, a fairytale, and the plus, it is a bad one.
Why you don't realize?
They don't mind. And I don't try.
Just keep my life on, I know what I know 😁😉
Thanks for asking @somerandomguy

I am amazed daily at the level of "us versus them" thinking all around us these stressful days.

Right is right and wrong is wrong has always been an interpretation but it feels like the mob mentality sways the leaderships interpretation. It used to be money and lobbyists that I was afraid of, now I think I am losing my representation to polarized thinking centered around "what would donald want us to do?" or maybe worse, "what would donald NOT want us to do?
Add in the religion card and we are lost to an "US vs. THEM" dichotomy that will last a generation.

I am a proud anti-theist and the greatest gift that comes from self-realization that I am one is the ability to shed at least the religious version of "us vs. them" thinking and entertain thoughts put up by any and all beliefs. I may not agree with them, but at least I know why without blindly following a mob that tells me why- with the added restriction of assuring my loss of membership priveledges for letting the thoughts even enter my mind or sway my actions.

Or am I fooling myself and my thoughts are being led by the growing mob of atheists, ready to purge me from the ranks for even repeating a verse from the bible or voting pro life????

Naaaaaaaaah!

I freely quote the bible whenever I want. I just don't take it as god's word. It's just a book. I quote lots of books.

I would never vote for anyone who is pro-life, because all the moderate pro-lifers, people who don't want victims of rape and/or incest to be forced to carry to term, are now basically unrepresented in U.S. politics. Pro-life politicians nowadays also tend to be the same ones who want to destroy the republic. I have, however, voted for pro-life politicians in the past, back before one could hold such views without wanting to destroy pro-choicers at the same time.

Bur of course it goes without saying that you can vote for whoever you want. Atheists are not a monolith.

Hi, how is everyone doing?

I learned of a peer-reviewed study published in the American Heart Journal on the effect of intercessory prayer on the recovery of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) patients. There's also a short article about it available here.

They concluded the following:
Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.

For me "I'll pray for you" has always been synonymous with "I'll think of you". Which is nice, and seemingly harmless.
But in this study, people who knew they were being prayed for, overall, had a more complicated recovery.
Granted, the 1800 patients involved in the study weren't being prayed for by people they knew, but I'm not sure it's worth another couple million dollars to find out whether or not that changes things.

Christian prayer has also been a confusing concept to me..
Matthew 18:19-20 (ESV)
Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.

Surely... surely (!!!) at least two Christians have gathered together and asked for this pandemic to be ended by now.
And yet it seems what frequently comes out of pandemic church gatherings is just new covid clusters.

It is sad that the words in that book can so often and for so many outweigh logic and skepticism and peer-reviewed science.
It is also sad that people think it is ok to indoctrinate other people.

It is sad that the words in that book
It's one of those books though - decide on the moral or comforting statement you need and it'll be in there somewhere.

Pandemic gets worse? God moves in mysterious ways.
Pandemic resolves? God's benevolence.

Either way, God's got you covered. Odds wise, the House wins every time!

ETA Don't pray for me. Get vaccinated, or put on a mask. But don't pray for me!

Back