• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Best medication for ptsd

Which medication has helped you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t really found anything that is worth while taking. Everyone is different though. There’s a lot that UK GPs wouldn’t or couldn’t prescribe I’d quite happily take diazepam as and when required few and far between but the likelihood of s British GP prescription for that long term is low af.

Every antidepressant I’ve used (a lot) has literally made shit worse for me. I’d love to take a medication to make shit slightly easier but outlook is bleak af.

I´m in camp benzodiazepines.

Antipsychotics screwed me up. Whenever I took these I´d become a zombie and my emotional issues would get worse.
Antidepressants worked for a short while, but when tried again later had very severe side-effects.
St. Johnsworth (capsules and tea) helped a little bit but only enough to provide a shaky base.
Valerian root did not help me.

HRT (hormone therapy) has helped tremendously, but I cannot recommend this, as I am not on it for PTSD ;)

Add: I found that tramadol also helped with my moods, although at the time I was taking it to relieve chronic pain. Several people report severe side-effects from tramadol so I recommend only considering it after a lot of thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly it's impossible to say with any definity. Right now Cymbalta is working well for me (depression, anxiety, arthritis...etc) in combination with medical marijuana. I have an extensive history with these medications and realize what is working wonders right now may not in time. So I keep that thought in my head and hope to make good use of this time when medications are working well.

Medications can be so frustrating but if you find one that works man suck the marrow from it... if you know what I mean..really try to make some mental health progress during the up time.

Just don't settle thinking you are out of options. I did this for the last 15 years. I just took my xanax, ambien, percocet, adderall, and wellbutrin/effexor like my health plan called for. I didn't question it until I did. I quit everything cold turkey 18 months ago so that I could know my baseline. After all the years I truly didn't know what a non medicated me looked like anymore. After doing that I started making better decisions and huge (for me) steps in my life.

My current treatment plan consists of the two medications I listed monitored my my Psychiatrist, daily exercise (the sweating type) and weekly therapy. I really feel hopeful on this road...I hope you all can find one that suits your current needs too.

Tramadol is best. Its raises serotonin and norepinephrine and works on pain receptors. Perfect combo to balance ptsd brain. Piggybak it with xanax 1mg HS. Good to go.

I’m on 300mg Lithium, just started about three weeks ago. Starting to see results thus far.

3mg Prazosin at night for nightmares and .5mg Klonapin as needed for anxiety.

As my psychiatrist reminded me, we are treating symptoms, not the disorder. I’m also recently looking at the possibility of a Bipolar diagnosis in addition to PSTD

I picked Celexa because it was the medication that worked wonders with me. Later I switched to Paxil due to possible heart issue that can develop in some people, which worked about the same.

I was on medications for 4 years, but I have been off all medications for 2 and a half years now. I felt the medication wasn’t necessary and was holding me back I was right. Also I was a drinker back then and Paxil with alcohol is dangerous. Blackouts and risky behavior.

I will add that it was unpleasant to come off of. When I would turn my head, it felt like my brain was being zapped. It was doing that for a few weeks.

Other for me today is Atarax. I have had others too, like Klonapin, but my Dr. told me that a new study has shown it to cause Dementia if taken over long periods of time, so she took me off of it.

I have taken a bunch of other meds for other conditions. Maybe they have helped with my PTSD and maybe not, I do not know.

Last edited:
I’m adding....

Anti benzo (for me) as my Ativan reacts HORRIBLY with my norflex (prn) and trileptal. So I only have it in case I need something to keep me out of the hospital. That is, I’ll never take it again most likely.

I love my Prazosin. I wake up SMILING!

I also love Trileptal. It works by regulating electrical signals as it’s an anticonvulsant/epilepsy medication. Hallelujah, it works so well I want to cry! (I’ve always reacted badly to meds that mess with seratonin/norepinephrine/dopamine).

I only take an antipsychotic for its tranquilizing properties that kick in at low doses and this allows me to avoid almost all side effects.

I took Efexor (Venlafaxine) for nine years and suffered acute memory loss and impaired cognitive functioning as a result. Perhaps I've missed something, but isn't the idea of taking a tablet which suppresses natural emotions damaging to the idea of recovery from PTSD, when part of the recovery involves feeling, validating and being able to identify your emotions?

I will add that it was unpleasant to come off of. When I would turn my head, it felt like my brain was being zapped. It was doing that for a few weeks.

I had this exact issue with Efexor. Minor electrical jolts every time I moved my head, lasted about a fortnight. Coming off them was one of the best things I ever did. I'll never go back to meds no matter how bad things get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back